Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 9/10/2014 (2242 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Paramedics help people they don't know every day, but sometimes it is someone they know and work with.
That's what happened when Winnipeg paramedic Corey Schroeder was injured last month in an explosion at his condo in the Assiniboia area while he was inside doing renovations.
Now paramedics in Winnipeg and across the province are coming together to help raise funds for Schroeder.
Ashley MacEachern said she decided to begin the fundraiser because not only are Schroeder and his family dealing with what will be a long recovery, but they also lost their home and all their belongings in the fire. Schroeder's girlfriend Dana, who is expecting their child, and her daughter Hailey, were not home at the time of the explosion.
In just two weeks, the fundraiser -- at http://www.gofundme.com/eyui3w -- has raised more than $19,000.
"The brother- and sisterhood amongst paramedics is so strong that we always jump to help each other when it is needed," MacEachern said.
"The thought of the long road to recovery for Corey only made our idea to help that much stronger."
MacEachern said they are gratified by the response.
"The generosity so far has been overwhelming," she said. "We knew we could get a positive response back, but are blown away by the magnitude of what our fundraising efforts have become.
"I have visited Corey and he has already begun the sequence of events to happen for his recovery. He is well aware of the enormous response from family, friends, colleagues and strangers who have started to help out and sends his appreciation to all."
MacEachern said if anyone wants to donate something else, they are asking for gift cards to various places, including grocery stores, pet shops, gas stations and Toys "R" Us instead of actual items.
She said the Paramedic Association of Manitoba (PAM) has agreed to be the drop-off point for gift cards and monetary donations. It is located at 230-530 Century St.
Eric Glass, PAM's administrative director, said the organization has "given them a promise we'll do all we can do to promote the initiative.
"It has been phenomenal. There's been a tremendous outpouring of support."
Glass said he used to work with Schroeder.
"He's a fabulous young man. He's compassionate and caring. He is great at the job.
"I think he's doing very well."
Meanwhile, a social has been organized to help Schroeder's family and also a family next door that lost everything in the blaze.
It will be held on Saturday, Oct. 18 at the TYC Event Centre. Tickets are $15. Call 204-888-1529 for more details.
Kevin Rollason is one of the more versatile reporters at the Winnipeg Free Press. Whether it is covering city hall, the law courts, or general reporting, Rollason can be counted on to not only answer the 5 Ws — Who, What, When, Where and Why — but to do it in an interesting and accessible way for readers.