July 3, 2020

Winnipeg
25° C, Partly cloudy

Full Forecast

WEATHER ALERT

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Premier says he meant no harm by 'all lives matter' comment

Premier Brian Pallister said he meant no offence earlier this week when he uttered the phrase "all lives matter" while referring to an upcoming rally at the legislature.

Social media commenters quickly seized upon the remark, which has been linked to criticism of the Black Lives Matter movement.

Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister

On Wednesday, the premier denied he intended to use the term as a racist dogwhistle.

"I regret the fact that people would interpret me saying that ‘all lives matter’ to be a racist comment, but I understand that others do say it in that manner for that purpose. I certainly didn’t," he said.

On Tuesday, Pallister was asked if he would attend a Justice 4 Black Lives Matter rally on Friday. The event was sparked by the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis at the hands of local police.

The premier said he would not attend the event for health reasons — he's 65 years old and has asthma — but he would "be there in spirit."

Then he said: "I will encourage all who feel strongly about this issue to use the opportunity to safely demonstrate their support for people of colour. Black lives matter. All lives matter, of course. But in this instance, on the heels of what is happening in the United States and what has been happening too frequently there, we all have, I think, a responsibility... if you can't come to the protest, to make sure that we stand up for equality and the things we believe in."

On Wednesday, he told reporters that "everyone would agree that using those three words in the context of a pandemic was quite legitimate."

"I regret the fact that that phrase is used by others in a different way, but I would be a little bit… obliged to clarify I certainly didn’t mean it in that way, as you well all know."

Meanwhile, Pallister and the province's chief public health officer, Dr. Brent Roussin, urged rally participants to do everything they can to safeguard their health and that of others at the event.

The crowd is likely to be much greater than the maximum of 50 allowed under current pandemic rules.

"We're looking to have people there make sure that social distancing occurs. I think that that's about the best we can come up with at this point in time. I wouldn't want it said that we weren't trying to make sure people were keeping each other safe," Pallister said Wednesday.

Roussin said large gatherings "could put us at risk for transmission" of the coronavirus.

He urged anyone with even mild symptoms to remain at home.

"I just want everyone to stay safe," he said.

— with files from Carol Sanders

larry.kusch@freepress.mb.ca

Larry Kusch

Larry Kusch
Legislature Reporter

Larry Kusch didn’t know what he wanted to do with his life until he attended a high school newspaper editor’s workshop in Regina in the summer of 1969 and listened to a university student speak glowingly about the journalism program at Carleton University in Ottawa.

Read full biography

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.

To those who have made donations, thank you.

To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.

The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.

After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.

If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.

We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.

History

Updated on Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 8:32 PM CDT: Updates photo.

June 4, 2020 at 9:10 AM: Fixes photo

The Free Press will close this commenting platform at noon on July 14.

We want to thank those who have shared their views over the years as part of this reader engagement initiative.

In the coming weeks, the Free Press will announce new opportunities for readers to share their thoughts and to engage with our staff and each other.

You can comment on most stories on The Winnipeg Free Press website. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

By submitting your comment, you agree to abide by our Community Standards and Moderation Policy. These guidelines were revised effective February 27, 2019. Have a question about our comment forum? Check our frequently asked questions.

Advertisement

Advertise With Us