Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 22/3/2019 (469 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The privacy of Tina Fontaine's surviving relatives should have been respected when the Manitoba advocate for children and youth published a 115-page report that detailed the teen's life and death, First Nations groups say.
"They will always have to live with this burden of their loved one that they lost, and all of the losses before that that they had no control over," said Tara Petti, chief executive officer of the Southern First Nations Network of Care.
"We believe that the advocate can take more care in how she presents the information that is being published."
The Southern First Nations Network of Care and the Southern Chiefs' Organization are joining a chorus of criticism levelled at Daphne Penrose in the wake of her report about what could have helped 15-year-old Tina before and after she made her way to Winnipeg in the summer of 2014. Tina's body was pulled from the Red River in August 2014.
The report called for changes to the school system, mental health services, Manitoba Justice's victim services, and child-welfare protocols. It recommended the province establish "safe and secure" treatment centres for severely addicted youth.
It charted Tina's life from birth to death, and the report also shed light, for the first time, on the childhood and life experiences of Tina's mother. Although she didn't want to participate in the report, the advocate's office delved into the mother's Child and Family Services records dating to when she was six, and illustrated the early trauma and sexual exploitation she experienced.
Tina's mother isn't named in the report, and neither are other relatives whose personal information was published even though they declined interviews with the advocate's office. She couldn't be reached for comment Friday.
As a result of such information being made public, the Southern First Nations Network of Care reached out to affected individuals, Petti said.
"We have taken steps to ensure that there was no harm," she said, although she said she couldn't elaborate due to confidentiality agreements.
The agency expressed its concerns to the advocate's office before the report was publicly released March 12, and Petti said she hopes there will be a more "collaborative approach" when future reports are released.
During a media event at Sagkeeng First Nation last week, Penrose said she hoped the details included in the report would show Manitobans neither Tina nor her mother were to blame for what happened to Tina. The report states the decision to release personal information about family members was made with careful consideration.
"I know that to tell Tina’s story in a vacuum and without mention of those who loved her and surrounded her is to fail in my duty to tell the truth of Tina’s story. Tina was influenced by many people, and she had two moms who loved her. Tina’s first mom loved her and tried to manage her growing family, but was unable in the long-term to provide the care Tina needed in her life," Penrose wrote in the report, also referring to Tina's "grandma," who raised her, as her second mother.
Other groups, including a Winnipeg coalition for sexually exploited youth, have criticized the report's recommendations and what they described as a lack of consultation.
Earlier this week, Families Minister Heather Stefanson said Penrose didn't alert the province to 17 youth who the advocate's office said are in immediate danger. In response, Penrose said she's been sharing information about at-risk youth for months.
In a statement this week, she said her office spoke with families, policy makers, sexual exploitation survivors and Indigenous and non-Indigenous groups in preparation for the Tina report.
Katie May reports on courts, crime and justice for the Free Press.
Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.
To those who have made donations, thank you.
To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.
The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.
After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.
If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.
We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.