Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 7/10/2019 (242 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The Manitoba government is asking private companies whether they would be interested in leasing or buying provincially-owned ice-breaking equipment used to prevent flooding on the Red River.
Infrastructure Minister Ron Schuler confirmed the province last month issued a request for interest regarding its three Amphibex ice-breaking machines — valued around $1.5 million apiece, according to the NDP, who raised the issue in question period Monday.
A private company, North Red Waterway Maintenance Corp., currently operates the province's Amphibex machines, usually starting in late January or early February annually.
Schuler said the government's current ice jam mitigation contract is around 15 years old, and, though officials aren't dissatisfied with the $1-million annual deal, they want to see whether a better option is available.
"We’re willing to listen to any great ideas. It’s not prescriptive. That’s why we didn’t do an RFP (request for proposal), we didn’t ask for proposals," the minister said, noting there's no deadline for when a new ice jam mitigation contract or set-up would take shape, which could happen as early as next year.
Schuler was adamant any new contract must guarantee the province has access to the Amphibexes whenever they're required.
NDP infrastructure critic Matt Wiebe underscored springtime in Manitoba can be unpredictable and the machines should always be at the ready.
"Ultimately, people want to make sure that they are publicly-owned, that they are available when they need to be available," he said.
"And this (request), I think shows that the government is looking at privatizing just another piece of our important infrastructure when it comes to flooding and other emergency measures."
The deadline for submissions to the province is Wednesday.
Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.
To those who have made donations, thank you.
To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.
The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.
After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.
If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.
We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.