A stolen pickup truck crashed into a natural gas distribution centre near Tyndall Thursday night, leading to a leak and evacuations in the community.
Emergency crews arrived on the scene just after 9 p.m., but couldn't get close to the vehicle because of safety concerns, an RCMP release said. Residents of 10 homes in the area were evacuated.
Manitoba Hydro said by about 3:30 a.m., the leak was secured, allowing officers to approach the vehicle. No one was in the truck, and no injuries were reported, RCMP said.
Evacuated residents have been advised by the RM of Brokenhead that it's safe to return to their homes. Gillis School in Tyndall was closed Friday.
Hydro deployed its compressed natural gas unit to the community, and were in the community relighting service to each home Friday. Earlier in the day, the municipality asked residents to stay home if they were able to in order to provide crews with easy access to the gas systems.
Utility spokesperson Scott Powell said due to the damage to the distribution system, crews are expected to be onsite until around midnight, when they'll hopefully complete a bypass that will restore Tyndall's main gas supply lines. He said the situation is safe, and systems are running as they should.
A statement from the municipality said residents need not be concerned about a faint gas smell in the community Friday.
RCMP said that the truck is believed to have been travelling north on Road 35 East, when it crossed a ditch on the west side, drove into the metallic shed that housed the distribution centre and ruptured the gas line.
RCMP said the vehicle was abandoned, and its owner later reported it as stolen. Anyone with information about the crash or who witnessed the collision is asked to contact the Beausejour RCMP at 204-268-2612.
Powell said the damage to the structure was extensive, and that it will take a few months to build a new station. The cost of that construction has not been determined, he said.
Hydro also reminded customers to never use fuel-burning equipment indoors, even in a gas outage. That includes generators, patio heaters, barbecues or camp stoves. By using that burning equipment inside, toxic carbon monoxide is produced, which can lead to illness or death.
Tyndall is located about 50 kilometres northeast of Winnipeg.