Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 15/1/2011 (3938 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Dozens of residents were safe but one cat died after a fire broke out in a ninth-floor apartment suite near the Pan Am Pool on Saturday.
Bill Clark, assistant chief of operations for the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service, said they don't know what sparked the blaze at 908-1305 Taylor Ave., about 2:20 p.m.
"The suite is gutted," Clark said.
"But it was pretty much confined to the suite. The people inside got out but their cat perished."
Clark said nobody was injured in the blaze but one firefighter was taken away by an ambulance after twisting his ankle as he ran across the staging area in the Pan Am Clinic parking lot across the street from the building.
Clark said aside from damage to the suite, there was some smoke damage on the floor and minor water damage in the suite directly underneath.
Firefighters estimated the fire caused $300,000 in damage.
Dozens of residents -- many of whom fled the building without jackets -- warmed up inside hastily summoned Winnipeg Transit buses.
Nile Tiamzon, who lives next to the suite that had the fire, said he was taking a nap when his five-year-old daughter, Mahliyah, woke him up.
"She was watching Alvin and the Chipmunks on television when she woke me up to say something is buzzing," Tiamzon said while standing in the rear parking lot looking at a balcony with black smoke stains on the exterior. Seconds later, somebody banged on his door.
"I opened the door and I saw a girl who said there was a fire and I saw smoke," he said. "I told my daughter to get dressed quickly because we've got to go. When we got outside I looked up and I saw flames coming outside."
Kevin Rollason is one of the more versatile reporters at the Winnipeg Free Press. Whether it is covering city hall, the law courts, or general reporting, Rollason can be counted on to not only answer the 5 Ws — Who, What, When, Where and Why — but to do it in an interesting and accessible way for readers.