Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 25/10/2011 (3899 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The Winnipeg Regional Health Authority building on Main Street will be closed to staff and the public for several days because of smoke from a nearby warehouse fire early Tuesday.
Heidi Graham, spokeswoman for the WRHA, said the Access Centre community clinic and corporate offices at 640 and 650 Main St. will be closed, perhaps until early next week, because "a significant amount of smoke infiltrated the building from the fire."
Smoke drifted through the ventilation system of the WRHA building, Graham said.
Members of the public who have existing appointments at the Access Centre will be contacted by WRHA staff to re-book.
The primary care clinic will move temporarily to 425 Elgin Ave.
Staff with the health authority will be assigned to other offices around the city until the building reopens.
A woman was taken to hospital for observation after the fire broke out next to her apartment building on Logan Avenue, near Main Street.
She was listed in stable condition later Tuesday morning.
Firefighters also rescued two cats from the apartment, both unharmed. One cat was returned to the woman and the other, rescued afterward, was turned over to the city's animal services location on Logan Avenue until the owner could retrieve it.
The fire in the warehouse in the 200 block of Logan Avenue broke out around 3:15 a.m.
Crews remained on the scene mid-morning and Logan Avenue, from Main Street to King Street, remained closed to traffic until late in the afternoon. Traffic was also rerouted from Henry Street to the north and Alexander Street to the south.
The building was vacant and boarded up at the time of the fire.
The blaze is under investigation.
Damages are undetermined. The building's owner could not be reached to comment on plans for the site.
"The building is a total loss; it collapsed," Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service platoon chief Jim Zaborniak said.
A portion of Logan Avenue directly in front of the building was filled with broken brick and masses of rubble, the remains of two walls firefighters pulled to the ground when it became clear the damaged structure was unstable.
A third wall was partly knocked down. The fourth wall was intact but black with soot.
The property is listed as a warehouse on the city's property assessment website, with a value of $69,000.
A Salvation Army mobile canteen was set up in the parking lot of the Kum Koon Garden restaurant, directly across Logan from the fire.
Maj. Brian Slous said the fire had gutted the building by the time he and another Salvation Army officer set up shop to serve coffee and doughnuts to fire crews.
The social agency sets up mobile canteens when the fire service calls on them.
"The building had already collapsed by the time we got here. They'd already knocked the walls down," Slous said.