Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 21/3/2012 (3373 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
TWO people were rushed to hospital with burns Wednesday after a backyard barbecue flared up.
The accident happened at around 6:30 p.m. on Guay Avenue in St. Vital, where a man was attempting to ignite a fire using a liquid accelerant. The fire suddenly flared up, setting the man's clothing on fire and scorching a nearby shed.
The man suffered second- and third-degree burns to his upper body.
Another resident of the home rushed out to help and sustained second-degree burns when she attempted to douse the flames with her hands.
Both were taken to hospital.
Fire officials on the scene advised the public to be very careful when using liquid accelerants to boost fires.
"Once you use an accelerant, you can't go back a second time to get it burning," said Capt. Myles Fitzhenry of the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service.