Free Press
A lasting mark
 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 

A lasting mark

When you look at young children, you can see glimpses of the adults they will one day become.

You can see a glimpse of what they will look like when they are older. You can get a glimpse of their personality.

Sadly, sometimes those glimpses are all we get.

And that’s the way it was with two-year-old Wyatt Hamilton.

Hamilton was the child who Pembina Valley RCMP reported died on Nov. 25 at about 4:45 p.m.

“When officers arrived on scene, the two-year-old male had been pronounced deceased,” stated a news release.

“Initial investigation has determined the child was riding on an open tractor with no cab with an adult male. He fell from the tractor sustaining fatal injuries. The RCMP continue to investigate.”

That’s how the child died, but even at the young age of two, he still lived a life. There were those glimpses of who he would have grown up to be and the type of person he would have become.

The family, in an obituary published with the local funeral home, said he “didn’t just grow up on the family farm; it was who he was.

“He was rolling little John Deere tractors around his toy barn before he could walk.”

Wyatt’s love for farming could also be seen just a few weeks back on Halloween.

“His mom had picked out the perfect little knight costume, but instead he fought to go dressed as a farmer, ‘just like my dad,’ he said.”

Many times when Wyatt was inside the house, he would listen to the sounds of the farm operation outside, “wishing he could be part of it.”

And, if he got into trouble, “his charming smile was always there to get him out of trouble. Beneath his tough exterior, was a loving son, brother, grandson, cousin — a tender soul at the ready with his signature ‘Wyatt’ hug.”

About those glimpses: as the family says, “to our big boy up in heaven: the footprints you left in the snow will eventually melt, the handprints you left around the house will fade in time, but the mark you left on all our hearts will last forever.”

Wyatt is survived by his parents, his two older sisters, and other relatives.

The family asks for donations in their child’s memory be sent to the Darlingford Cemetery, c/o the Municipality of Pembina, Box 189, Manitou, MB, R0G 1G0. Read more about Wyatt. 

Kevin Rollason

Kevin Rollason, Reporter

Kevin Rollason

How They Lived

Dr. Stacy McPhee was just 31 and had been practising as a doctor for only six years — but she made a lasting impact on her patients.

McPhee, who died on Nov. 24, was a high achiever who served as a page in the Manitoba legislature for an unprecedented three years before going to medical school.

She graduated in the University of Manitoba’s Faculty of Medicine Class of 2015 and chose to be a family doctor, working at the ACCESS Fort Garry and Kildonan Medical Centre.

She also loved the Spice Girls and, with her husband, saw one of the group’s 2019 reunion shows at Wembley Stadium in 2019. Read more about Stacy. 



Helen Grymonpre was a social worker who helped many people.

Grymonpre, who was 93 when she died on Nov. 27, received her Bachelor of Arts degree in 1949, her Bachelor of Social Work degree in 1953, and later her Masters of Social Work in the 1970s. She worked at various places, including Osborne House.

Grymonpre was also a talented musician. She played violin with the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra at its first concert in 1948 and for several years after. Read more about Helen.



Marilyn Billinkoff was a lawyer who changed gears to go into administration.

Billinkoff, who died on Nov. 16 at 67, received her law degree in 1979 and began working at the Walsh Micay law firm.

Later, Billinkoff, looking for a new challenge, left the practice of law to become CEO of the Manitoba Real Estate Association.

But law called her back and she joined the Law Society of Manitoba, first as its director of insurance and later as deputy CEO. Read more about Marilyn.



Frank Armoogum grew up in Trinidad and later trained as a barber in England.

Armoogum, who was 79 when he died on Nov. 26, came to Canada in 1968 and continued to cut hair.

He eventually co-owned a shop with a partner and for more than 40 years he trimmed the hair of hundreds of clients at The Village Men’s Hairstyling. Read more about Frank. 



A Life’s Story

Jennifer Evers knew something was physically wrong with her — she just couldn’t convince her doctors to believe her.

Evers, who died on Sept. 20 at 46, was diagnosed with Stage 4 incurable stomach cancer four months into the pandemic. She also battled for years with mental illness.

Jenn and her nephew, Nicholas, at a birthday celebration for her mom in July, 1997. (Supplied)

In fact, Evers’ family, both in her obituary and in a recent A Life’s Story feature by Katie May, believe her mental illness was why she died. They now want to shine a spotlight on the issue of physicians’ ignoring the physical concerns of patients because they don’t believe them due to their mental illnesses.

“We just want to help people that are going through the same thing that our sister went through,” said Evers’ sister Lisa.

Read more about Jennifer. 



Until next time, I hope you continue to write your own life’s story.



This Passages newsletter is delivered to your inbox every week.
To customize this and other email preferences, click the button below.

Email Preferences

Email Preferences | Privacy Policy | About Us

Winnipeg Free Press
1355 Mountain Ave., Winnipeg, MB, R2X 3B6


A strong Manitoba
needs a strong Free Press

Fb Tw Inst