August 18, 2017


27° C, A few clouds

Full Forecast


Advertise With Us

You have to set ignorant fellow free

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/3/2013 (1605 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: I'm a well-educated person, and my boyfriend only has Grade 11. I think he's even lying about that. We were intensely attracted to one another physically, and didn't miss the conversations we never had. Now the sexual heat has started to settle down, I'm shocked at his ignorance. He doesn't watch TV news or read the newspapers and immediately switches the radio in the car to music if news comes on. He shows shock on his face when people talk about something big that has happened in the city. Worst of all, friends have started to notice he is kind of a dumb-dumb. Actually he has basic intelligence, just no education, and seemingly no curiosity about the world. I hate to sound like this, but I've never had great sex like this before, especially with a guy who loves me. I don't want to give it up! Is it leading him on to keep seeing him for sex? I can't tell him why I'm dumping him, or he'd feel humiliated. Help! -- Ashamed to be Using Him, West End

Dear Ashamed: You need to set this man free as gently as you can. He's done nothing wrong and is innocently in love with you. Be happy for the gifts he has given you -- like finding out what great sex is like with a man who loves you. Just tell him that you're not feeling the love you should be feeling, and you're sorry but it's time to go. He can't argue with your lack of feelings. If he really pushes for a reason, and he may, tell him truthfully you need a man who's more educated. Those words will be hurtful, so don't elaborate. He may say. "Oh, so you think I'm dumb?" You can honestly say, "No I don't, but I think you need an education and a bigger interest in what's going on in the world."


Dear Miss Lonelyhearts: I spent some time in jail when I was in my early 20s for a drug offence and I have never told my wife. Off the top, she said she was a homebody and she never wanted to travel because of fear of flying. Yay! I quickly said I had the same problem. Recently she has overcome that fear, and gone travelling with a girlfriend to Mexico this winter. I said I couldn't leave because of my work and fear of flight. The truth is I don't think I can go to the United States or maybe even fly over it. I don't want her to know her husband is a former jailbird. What do you suggest? -- Rock and a Hard Place, North End

Dear Rock: Tell your wife the truth. She may already know. Your going to jail as a young man would be known by quite a few people and may have slipped out at some family gathering. It's amazing how many secrets couples think they are keeping from each other. Before telling her, call Lucy Perillo at Pardon Services Winnipeg (204-453-0099) to find out your exact situation and what can be done for you. Even if you find the States are not open to you, you'll be able to travel without trouble to other places. Take your wife, if she's willing. And, if she wants to go with her girlfriends to a place you can't go, continue to be supportive of that.


Questions or comments? Please email or send letters c/o Miss Lonelyhearts, 1355 Mountain Ave. Winnipeg R2X 3B6

Read more by Miss Lonelyhearts.


Advertise With Us

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Photo Store

Scroll down to load more