All Sections

August 21, 2017


16° C, Overcast

Full Forecast


Advertise With Us

How to handle frozen pipes

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 19/3/2014 (1251 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

My heart goes out to all those that are without water, and thank you to everyone helping their neighbours by providing a temporary water source.

This issue of is particular concern for us in the River Heights part of the ward due to the number of frozen pipes and properties at risk in the area.

It is an emergency which requires all Winnipeggers to pitch in.

Our office has outlined a quick step-by-step process to make sure those affected get water running as soon as possible, and more information is available at

However, let’s take a look at some of the most common questions here:

I have no water. Where can I get information on what to do?

Call 311 to start the process, and they will lead you through it. Additional information is located at

First Step – Get Your Temporary Water Hooked Up

How do I get a temporary water hook-up?

You may be able to get a temporary hose from your neighbour’s property set up. Download the form at the following web address and fax (204-222-2168) or email ( it back to the City.

Second Step – Unthawing the Water Line

How do I get my pipes thawed?

As of March 11 the City will come and thaw all frozen pipes regardless of if the frozen pipe is on the City side or the homeowner’s side of the property line.

Will I be billed for getting my pipes thawed by the City?

Yes and no. The residential pipe thawing fee will be waived effective Feb. 28, 2014.  Customers who may have received bills from the City for thawing frozen pipes on Feb. 28 or later will receive a notice cancelling the $305 charge.

Other Related Questions

How do I know if I my house is at risk?

The City has been contacting homeowners, knocking on their door, phoning and delivering letters, where a house has been determined to be at risk.

If I run my water and the city hasn’t sent me a letter saying I am in an at-risk address, will I get a discount on my water?

No, The City will only pro-rate the bills of addresses identified as being at risk.

If you are experiencing difficulty with the system or have a special need that you are struggling with, please do call my office at 204-986-5236, or e-mail me at and I will do what I can to help.

Read more by John Orlikow, River Heights-Fort Garry City Councillor Ward Report.


Advertise With Us

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Photo Store

Scroll down to load more