Revisiting Community Futures
Last summer, I wrote about Community Futures Manitoba (“Rambling with… Community Futures,” Free Press Community Review, East edition, July 27, 2022).
Susan Bater, manager of the entrepreneurs with disabilities program was the person I interviewed for the original article, and she recently sent me an email to tell me she was honoured last September with an award of distinction from the Economic Development Association of Manitoba.
The sixth annual Manitoba Economic Development Awards were announced on Sept. 22, 2022, during the Economic Development Association of Manitoba’s annual forum and the nominees were as follows:
Rising Star Award:
• Clayton Gibson, Economic development officer, R.M. of West Interlake;
• Eric Forster, Regional EDO, Crocus Country Economic Development Corporation.
Project of The Year Under $100,000:
• Ashern Centennial Hall Accessible Washrooms, R.M. of West Interlake;
• FrancoFish, CDEM;
• Inglis elevators, Inglis Area Heritage Committee, Inc.;
• Project Hometown, Assiniboine Valley Regional CDC;
• SCORE Store Inc., Sandy Lake, Clear Lake, Onanole, Rolling River First Nation and Erickson;
• Wallace-Woodworth Wants to Know, R.M. of Wallace-Woodworth.
Project of the Year Over $100,000:
• 2021 daycare facility expansion, Russell’s Lots-A-Tots Inc.;
• Expanding community cancer care, Committee Members of ECCC;
• Renovation of curling rink, Silverton Community Centre;
• Universal broadband fund – Starlink Equipment Project, R.M. of St. Laurent.
Award of Distinction:
• Carissa Caruk-Ganczar, Program manager and leadership coach, The Hubs;
• Susan Bater, Entrepreneurs with disabilities program Manager, Community Futures Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
As I mentioned earlier, Susan Bater was the winner of the award of distinction, and I would like to congratulate her and all the other winners.
If you want to find out more about Community Futures of Manitoba and Saskatchewan, visit www.cfmanitoba.ca
Until next time, I’ll be rambling on…
St. Vital community correspondent
Weldon Rinn lives, writes, and enjoys living in St. Vital. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org