Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 27/5/2014 (1176 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The countdown continues...
2014 marks the 100th year since the incorporation of the Rural Municipality of Cartier and events are being planned to celebrate this occasion. Reserve the weekend of June 13 to 14 to attend this 100th birthday of Cartier. During this countdown to the centennial celebration, articles will be printed to highlight various aspects of the RM of Cartier — past, present, and future. Watch this space for more highlights about Cartier.
Special citizens of the RM of Cartier — our centenarians:
Persons who have "roots" to the Rural Municipality of Cartier in some way or another and have or will reach their milestone of 100 years before the municipality did! Here is a list of centenarians we are proud to honour.
• Mrs. Cecile Legault nee Dufour: Feb. 23, 1914;
• Mr. Carl Piper: Jan. 7, 1889 - Jan. 27, 1993;
• Mr. Alex Desrochers: May 5, 1909 - Sept. 8, 2010;
• Mrs. Emilie DesLauriers-Vailcourt nee Robidoux: July 20, 1911;
• Mr. Roland Beaudin: May 31, 1914;
• Mrs. Victorine Beaudin: Feb. 27, 1910 - Aug. 5, 2013;
• Mrs. Bertha Beaudry nee Houde: Dec. 1, 1913;
• Mrs. Octovie Forcier nee Dumas: July 19, 1902 - Nov. 22, 2005;
• Mrs. Bella Beauchesne Michaud nee Lamontagne: Dec. 7, 1909 - June 5, 2013;
• Mr. Donat Adelard Lamontagne: Jan. 13, 1908 - Aug. 29, 2008;
• Mr. Edmond Laramee: July 12, 1892 - Aug. 12, 1996;
• Mrs. Antonia Rivard nee Beaudry: Dec. 4, 1908 - Sept. 3, 2012
There are also a number of noted persons that are pleased to have "Cartier" in their background:
Leanne Shirtliffe — author of a bestselling humour book, Don’t Lick the Minivan, recognized by The Globe and Mail, and a writer for Nickelodeon.
Charles Balmer — inducted into the Agricultural Hall of Fame in 2004, noted for his influence within the agricultural industry as an inventor, innovator, designer and entrepreneur.
Jon Gerrard — by profession, a medical doctor specializing in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, serving in the political arena in both the Federal and Provincial Assemblies and having a special interest in the study of bald eagles. Jon’s wife Naomi is a gifted artist and has had her works displayed in many venues and travelled around the world following her love of the arts.
Dawna Friesen — award-winning television journalist and anchor /executive editor of Global National. Dawna has covered news stories from all corners of the world but her roots are right here in the RM of Cartier.
Charles (Chuck) Harrison — well-known as "Charlie Hustle". Charles played professional football with the Ottawa Roughriders for two years and with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers for seven years. Throughout the years he resided in Springstein, Man.
Have we included everyone? If not, please excuse us and let us know how you are connected to the RM of Cartier. Submit a story!
The Treasures of Time Municipal History Book was completed in 1984 and a second book is now being worked on to complete the 100 years. The book will be sold at the beginning of 2015. Your contributions of stories are needed to make the book a success and may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off at the municipal office.