Arts & Life
Canstar Community News
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 4/7/2016 (1499 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Great West Life has begun to move forward with a daycare facility at the Milner house, located on the corner of 51 Balmoral St., adjacent to GWL’s parking lot. A GWL spokesperson provided the following update to the project:
• Preliminary work inside the Milner house has begun already with major construction to soon follow;
• GWL is targeting the first quarter of 2017 for the final completion;
• The proposed design preserves the heritage value of the red house and it blends in with the overall look of the neighbourhood;
• The facility will accommodate as many as 95 to 100 childcare spaces. Of the total number of spaces available, two-thirds would be reserved for children of employees. The remainder of the spaces would be for children in the community;
• The facility will be independently managed by an outside child care provider, not by the company. The provider that’s chosen will co-ordinate the registration process and maintain a wait list as required;
• The facility will be approximately 11,000 square-feet. GWL plans to build it to meet LEED Gold standards that include sustainable design features like LED lighting that use up to 80 per cent less electricity than incandescent bulbs, and energy-efficient heating and cooling.
The Winnipeg Free Press invites you to share your opinion on this story in a letter to the editor. A selection of letters to the editor are published daily.
Letters must include the writer’s full name, address, and a daytime phone number. Letters are edited for length and clarity.