Taylor, Grant building proposals approved

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 12/02/2021 (722 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Plans for an apartment on Taylor Avenue and a commercial building on Grant Avenue were approved by the City Centre community committee on Feb. 5.

In attendance at the meeting were councillors John Orlikow (River Heights), Sherri Rollins (Fort Rouge-East Fort Garry) and Cindy Gilroy (Daniel McIntyre).

Applicant Justin Zarnowski spoke about the plan to build a six-storey, multi-family building at 1010 Taylor Ave. “We’ve had great response from the community for this type of amenity and housing that’s needed,” he said. “This will be the second building for us. The first is 30 per cent leased, although it’s a year and a half from completion.”

Sou'wester Drawing of the location.

The property is located on the south side of Taylor Avenue between Nathaniel Street and Wilton Street in what is being called Grant Park Row, described as “an open air, multi-use development that is organized around residential, retail, office and hotel concepts.”

The building will contain 124 residential units and 213 parking stalls. Out of this, 124 parking stalls will be indoor and 89 parking stalls will be outdoor. A total of eight accessible parking spaces, two van accessible parking spaces, and 18 indoor secure bicycle parking spaces will be provided.

At the request of the city’s urban planning division, the proposed pedestrian connection was adjusted to meet the standards of the zoning bylaw, by connecting the two main outdoor entrances of the building, and by providing cane-detectable edge treatment along the full length of the route. 

The councillors also approved plans for a two-storey office and personal service use building to be located at 1366 Grant Ave.

The property is located on the southwest corner of Grant Avenue and Oxford Street. The site is currently occupied by 1,056 square feet of a residential building constructed in 1958 that has been converted into a massage therapy clinic. The massage therapy business will move into the main floor of the new building. The city planning department noted that the client also owns the property to the south of the site.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

The Sou'wester

LOAD MORE