Our Queen’s Platinum Jubilee medal recipients
Last month I had the privilege of selecting 10 Concordia residents to receive the Queen Elizabeth II Platinum Jubilee medal. This commemorative medal recognizes outstanding Manitobans who have built and continue to build a caring, compassionate, and connected community through their service and actions.
It has been an honour to get to know these wonderful people and I hope you can take a moment to learn more about each of them.
• Jim Smithm president of the North East Winnipeg Historical Society, has worked for decades to record and preserve the history of East Kildonan, North Kildonan, and Elmwood.
• Lorraine Kehler is an educator and lifelong community volunteer who most recently served as co-ordinator of the Elmwood Bear Clan.
• Gary Ledoux, CEO of Bethania Personal Care for the past eight years, works tirelessly with families, volunteers and staff to ensure a welcoming and caring home for residents.
• Nina Condo, executive director of the Elmwood Community Resource Centre, is committed to defending human rights and ensuring social justice that allows community members to overcome socio-economic barriers.
• Comrade George McCall is a veteran who served in the army from 1967 to 1973 and a loyal member of Elmwood Legion, Branch #9, where he has served as president twice.
• Mrs. Lillian Deptuch is a life-long member of Holy Eucharist Ukrainian Catholic Church, and is the model of volunteerism in our community, organizing the church’s perogy fundraisers.
• Dave Olfert, who served as chair of the Concordia Hospital and Concordia Wellness Projects. He was instrumental in obtaining funding for Concordia Hospital, Concordia Place and Concordia Villages I-IV.
• Jim Ogunnoiki is the former president of the Afro-Caribbean Association of Manitoba and organizer of its annual job and career fair.
• Rebecca Deng, executive director of The Excel Empowerment Centre, fled home in Sudan for an Ethiopian refugee camp at age 13. Deng has advocated for immigrants since she moved to Winnipeg in 2005.
• Nancy Baker, a physical education teacher at Elmwood High for over two decades and creator of Elmwood’s Health and Wellness Expo. She sits on the baord of directors Manitoba High Schools Athletics Association as an urban teacher representative.
Congratulations once again to all award recipients!
If you would like to contact me to share positive contributions of Concordia constituents or any issue of concern to you, feel free to reach out to me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 204-654-1857.
Concordia constituency report
Matt Wiebe is the NDP MLA for Concordia.