Arts & Life
Canstar Community News
A third resident of Parkview Place Long Term Care Home has died following a COVID-19 outbreak at the 277-bed personal care home in downtown Winnipeg.
On Saturday, the province said a woman in her 80s, connected to the outbreak at the home, died.
On Friday, the province announced a man in his 70s who had lived at the home died from COVID-19, and on Sept. 22, a woman in her 90s who was a resident at the facility succumbed to the virus.
The personal care home is operated by Revera Inc., which operates seven personal care homes within the province.
A spokesman for Revera referred a request for comment Saturday to a statement previously posted to the company’s website.
In it, Revera chief medical officer Dr. Rhonda Collins said the company is working with the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority and has implemented pandemic outbreak protocols and infection control measures.
"The team at Parkview Place has expressed its deepest sympathies to the family and friends of the person who passed away because of the pandemic," Collins stated.
According to the company, a total of 16 residents and seven staff at Parkview Place have tested positive for COVID-19. Employees who have tested positive are at home in self-isolation. The first known case in the home was in an employee and announced on Sept. 15.
Twenty-two Manitobans have died due to COVID-19, since March.
Public health said 38 new cases of the virus were identified as of 9:30 a.m. Saturday and the provincial five-day test positivity rate is 2.5 per cent.
The Winnipeg region continued to lead the pack in cases, with 33 new infections in the region. Two cases were identified in Prairie Mountain Health and three in the Interlake-Eastern health region.
The province said two previously announced cases were removed from case totals, bringing the net number of new cases on Saturday to 36 and the total number of confirmed cases to 2,108.
On Friday, the province completed 1,963 tests and there are 677 known active cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba. Hospitalization data was not available Saturday due to technical issues, the province said.
A seventh COVID-19 outbreak at a Winnipeg region personal care home was also declared Saturday.
St. Norbert Personal Care Home, a 91-bed facility at 50 St. Pierre St., has moved to code red, or critical, under the province’s pandemic response system.
The province did not provide details on the outbreak, or if a case of the novel coronavirus had been identified in a resident or staff member.
A spokesperson for the government said chief provincial public health officer Dr. Brent Roussin would provide an update on Monday.
The personal care home declined to comment.
Outbreak protocols are also in place at St. Amant - Health and Transition Services, Heritage Lodge Personal Care Home, Calvary Place Personal Care Home, Beacon Hill Lodge Long Term Care Home, and Actionmarguerite personal care home, within Winnipeg.
Beyond the Perimeter Highway, outbreaks are being managed at Carberry Personal Care Home, Hillcrest Place Personal Care Home in Brandon, and Bethesda Place Personal Care Home and Maplewood Manor in Steinbach.
Danielle Da Silva
Danielle Da Silva is a general assignment reporter.
The Winnipeg Free Press invites you to share your opinion on this story in a letter to the editor. A selection of letters to the editor are published daily.
Letters must include the writer’s full name, address, and a daytime phone number. Letters are edited for length and clarity.