July 11, 2020

Winnipeg
20° C, Partly cloudy

Full Forecast

Close this
Winnipeg Free Press

ABOVE THE FOLD

Subscribe

HSC sent MDs, nurses, staff home to isolate after COVID-19 exposure

The Free Press has made this story available free of charge so everyone can access trusted information on the coronavirus.

Support this work and subscribe today

A large medical unit at Manitoba's largest hospital has been temporarily shut down due to staff exposure to the novel coronavirus, prompting a stringent new safety protocol for all health-care workers who come in contact with patients.

Four nurses at Winnipeg's Health Sciences Centre have tested positive for COVID-19 and 40 nurses in total at the site are in self-isolation, the Manitoba Nurses Union says.

 Dr. Brent Roussin, chief provincial public health officer.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Dr. Brent Roussin, chief provincial public health officer.

About 30 other workers at the hospital, represented by the Manitoba Association of Health Care Professionals, are also in self-isolation. As are 20 HSC support staff and 15 security officers, represented by the Canadian Union of Public Employees.

An untold number of doctors are also affected.

As Manitoba comes to grips with an ever-widening coronavirus crisis, front-line health-care workers are increasingly becoming the hardest hit.

Manitoba announced 40 new cases of the coronavirus Thursday, bringing the total to 167. Five persons are in hospital, with four in intensive care.

Lanette Siragusa, chief nursing officer at Shared Health, said the escalating number of hospital staff testing positive or self-isolating in recent days prompted the new protocol that all staff coming into contact with patients wear personal protection equipment (PPE).

"We know what impact COVID-19 has had on health-care workers around the world. And in the last few days, the true reality of what happened elsewhere is starting to be felt here in Manitoba," Siragusa told a news briefing Thursday.

"And we know everything about this is hard — not just on the workers themselves, but on their loved ones, too."

Until Thursday, health workers were only donning PPE when dealing COVID-19 or suspected coronavirus patients.

The change in protocol, which began to be implemented Thursday, affects health-care staff working with patients at hospitals, long-term care facilities, health-care centres, nursing stations, Access centres, and COVID-19 testing centres.

On Wednesday, the province's chief public health officer, Dr. Brent Roussin, announced there was now evidence of community spread of COVID-19.

Staff at four Manitoba hospitals — HSC, Grace, St. Boniface and the Selkirk Regional Health Centre — have tested positive for the virus.

Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson said in addition to the 40 nurses at HSC, 14 at Grace Hospital and several at the Selkirk hospital are also self-isolating. One ER nurse at Grace has tested positive for the coronavirus.

The shutdown of the unit at HSC will have a significant impact, particularly since the system is already short of nurses, Jackson said.

She said the new PPE measures should help reduce the number of hospital staff becoming infected or having to self-isolate.

"I'm glad to see it, but I don't think it happened soon enough and I don't think they've gone far enough," Jackson said.

New staff screening measures are being put into place at the Health Science Centre.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

New staff screening measures are being put into place at the Health Science Centre.

For weeks, the union had been pushing health officials to allow nurses to use their own judgement in determining what type of PPE they required, Jackson said, as was being done in some other jurisdictions.

Asked whether the change in PPE protocol should have been implemented sooner, Siragusa said the plan was to escalate safety measures when community transmission of COVID-19 was evident.

She said the potential impact on operations of the temporary staff loss at HSC is significant, "and we have to be able to manage that situation."

On Thursday, long staff lineups were witnessed at some hospitals during shift changes — a result of new employee screening measures announced the previous day, after reports at least one health worker had shown up for work despite showing symptoms for the virus. The employee later tested positive.

At St. Boniface Hospital, the staff lineup snaked from the hospital's main entrance down Tache Avenue. Workers had their temperature taken and had to answer questions about travel history and any symptoms they had before starting their shift.

Asked about the lineups Thursday, Siragusa noted the measure was just being implemented and hospitals would have to work out procedures to speed the process.

larry.kusch@freepress.mb.ca

Larry Kusch

Larry Kusch
Legislature Reporter

Larry Kusch didn’t know what he wanted to do with his life until he attended a high school newspaper editor’s workshop in Regina in the summer of 1969 and listened to a university student speak glowingly about the journalism program at Carleton University in Ottawa.

Read full biography

Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.

To those who have made donations, thank you.

To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.

The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.

After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.

If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.

We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.

The Free Press will close this commenting platform at noon on July 14.

We want to thank those who have shared their views over the years as part of this reader engagement initiative.

In the coming weeks, the Free Press will announce new opportunities for readers to share their thoughts and to engage with our staff and each other.

You can comment on most stories on The Winnipeg Free Press website. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

By submitting your comment, you agree to abide by our Community Standards and Moderation Policy. These guidelines were revised effective February 27, 2019. Have a question about our comment forum? Check our frequently asked questions.

ABOVE THE FOLD