Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 13/11/2020 (381 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
My name is Andy Stillman. I believe in smart, impactful philanthropy. That’s why for nearly a decade, my family foundation supported WE Charity. But over the past months I’ve been confused, reading negative press about WE and its founders. If you’re like me, you want to cut through the politics and get to the truth.
So that’s exactly what I did. I hired top-rated, non-partisan investigators and forensic accountants, including Matt Torigian, former Deputy Solicitor General for the province of Ontario, and forensic accountant Dr. Al Rosen, who has appeared before the Supreme Court of Canada.
The review included over 5,000 pages released by the federal government, and nearly 400 documents released by WE Charity, as well as a full evaluation of WE Charity’s finances and that of the social enterprise ME to WE that funds the charity.
The findings convinced me. So much so that I wanted to pay for these full-page ads to ensure that Canadians have the truth.
Here are the top five things the experts found:
- The public service considered multiple other charities and groups, and the public service determined that WE Charity was the best partner to administer the Canada Student Service Grant (CSSG) to help students.
- The Prime Minister’s Office did not predetermine that WE Charity would be selected to administer the Canada Student Service Grant.
- WE Charity would have made no profit from the CSSG, but only been reimbursed for eligible expenses to administer the program.
- WE Charity was clearly motivated by helping students. ME to WE Social Enterprise has created jobs to help lift people overseas from poverty and given 100% of its profits to WE Charity or reinvested funds for social purposes.
- Marc and Craig are volunteers who never profited from WE Charity. In contrast, the Kielburger family are among the most generous financial supporters of WE Charity.
Simply put, there was no funny business. The real #WEscandal is politics causing the loss of an incredible Canadian charity which has helped millions of young people for over 25 years.
But don’t take my word for it. See the facts for yourself at FriendsofWE.org and learn how you can help right this wrong.
I remain a believer in WE Charity and I will continue to support them. Today’s world needs more youth volunteerism, not less. We need to take a step back, think critically and check our assumptions.
It is my hope that these reports will renew your confidence in this important organization, like it has mine. If you want to make your voice heard, I hope you’ll share your WE story of impact with #FriendsofWE.
This ad made possible by the generosity of the Stillman Foundation
This article is produced by the Advertising Department of the Winnipeg Free Press, in collaboration with Stillman Family Foundation - Friends of WE