Warm weather postpones Quebec’s snowboard cross World Cup
Read this article for free:
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe with this special offer:
All-Access Digital Subscription
$4.75 per week*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Pay $19.00 every four weeks. GST will be added to each payment. Subscription can be cancelled anytime.
MONT-SAINTE-ANNE, Que. – A World Cup snowboard cross event in Mont-Sainte-Anne, Que., has been postponed because of warm temperatures and lack of snow.
The “Bataille Royale,” scheduled for Feb. 4-5, was delayed to to March 24-26 at the resort 50 kilometres northwest of Quebec City, Snowboard Canada said Thursday in a release.
“The decision to reschedule the event was made with the goal of providing the best possible snow conditions and course for the world’s top snowboard cross athletes,” Canada’s snowboarding federation said.
“The extra time will provide time for seasonal temperatures and snowfall to return as well as utilize snowmaking if needed, to build a unique new snowboard cross course that will showcase the talents of the competitors and provide an exciting race for the fans.”
The rescheduling makes Mont-Sainte-Anne the final World Cup of the snowboard cross season.
Éliot Grondin of Sainte-Marie, Que., was a double Olympic medallist in snowboard cross last year in Beijing winning men’s silver and mixed-team bronze with teammate Meryeta O’Dine of Prince George, B.C.
Grondin ranks seventh this season in men’s World Cup races.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 12, 2023.