Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 18/8/2013 (1464 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
WINNIPEG -- In the wake of their fifth straight loss on Friday night, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers announced this morning they have dismissed offensive co-ordinator Gary Crowton.
The team said newly appointed coach Marcel Bellefeuille will take over responsibility for the offence for the rest of the season.
The Bombers are 1-6 through seven games of the CFL season.
"No one in our organization is happy with the way we have performed so far this season," head coach Tim Burke said in the team’s statement today. "Our offence has not played up to their standards and we need to make this change in order to give us a chance at remaining in the hunt for the post season. I wish Gary all the best in his future endeavors."
Bellefeuille’s promotion means the Bombers will be working with their third offensive co-ordinator in less than three years.
Crowton was hired less than 19 months ago to replace Jamie Baressi, who was not retained at the end of the 2011 season, when the Bombers lost the Grey Cup game. Crowton had previously never worked in Canada.
After last year’s 6-12 record when the Bombers were the lowest-scoring team in the CFL, Winnipeg is again last or near-least in multiple offensive categories this season, including points scored, an average of 21.8 per game, touchdown passes, five, pass completion, 59.4 per cent, and turnovers, 25.
Bellefeuille, the former head coach of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, was brought in a week ago to help the offence, not long after the Bombers dismissed their CEO and general manager.
His offensive roles in the CFL and Canadian college football are extensive, including with Hamilton, Saskatchewan and Montreal.
The Bombers had no other comment today but Burke and Bellefeuille plan to meet reporters on Monday.
Winnipeg visits Hamilton this Saturday.