Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 21/2/2013 (2931 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

RALEIGH, N.C. – Winnipeg Jets defenceman Zach Redmond was rushed to hospital this morning and had to have surgery after his leg was badly cut by a teammate’s skate.

Redmond is recovering after three hours of surgery to repair a laceration to his right femoral artery and vein, the Jets said in a statement.  It's not yet clear when he will be able to return to the ice.

Zach Redmond


Zach Redmond

"What took place is we were trying to get our extra players conditioned and there was a one-on-one battle at the net where he tripped up and landed on his back," said Jets head coach Claude Noel after the practice.

"The player that was tied up with him happened to step on him," he said.  "It’s a fairly wide cut."

Most of the team was already in the visitors’ dressing room at PNC Arena when the accident occurred and when the seriousness became evident, a number rushed back out to see what had taken place. Those who were on the ice, including Antti Miettinen and Anthony Peluso, had blood on their socks and jerseys when they did leave the ice after Redmond was taken away by ambulance.

The area where the accident occurred, right in front of the net, was covered with a considerable amount of blood.

"He lost a fair bit of blood and he’s in some pain," said Noel. "It looks like it’s a vein. It cut him through the sock… I don’t know if it cut through the pant, but there was a fair amount of a loss of blood there quickly and we got it tied up and put pressure on it. He’ll be fine."

Redmond, who has been impressive in his first year with the Jets, was a healthy scratch in Tuesday’s win over Buffalo. The Jets are to meet the Carolina Hurricanes tonight here, but the emotional impact on the team was evident immediately during and after the scene.

"It’s tough on your team," said Noel. "They will be rattled. It’s a teammate and there’s not much you can say. The guys are heading back (to the hotel). It throws a wrench into your pre-game (routine) but we’ll get it solved by time we get back here and ready to go."

Noel said those on the ice were able to speak to Redmond on the ice after the accident.

"He was fine, he was awake," said Noel. "We were talking to him, the trainers were talking to him. He was in some pain and probably a little bit shocked by what had taken place. Other than that he was coherent going into the ambulance. They’ll look after him here."


Twitter: @WFPEdTait