Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 27/2/2012 (3519 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
THE BIG PICTURE
Call this a missed opportunity. A very bad miss, in fact. Winnipeg (68 points) remains in a playoff spot but they can't be pleased with how things looked. Here's more concern for the Jets: Games played. Washington (67) and Toronto (65) both have three games in hand on the Jets. Yes, they have to win those and yes, both teams have struggled at times this month, but everyone would be breathing a lot easier had the Jets beaten the Oilers.
The Oilers handed the Jets their first regulation loss in seven games, a stretch where Winnipeg picked up 10 of a possible 12 points. Also, the Jets have two more games on this eight-game homestand. This is what they call a 'sliver lining.'
Two goals, 35 seconds apart, in the third period was the story of this one. Bang-bang -- game over. The Jets couldn't find the second gear to get it done against the young Edmonton squad.
FREE PRESS 3 STARS
1. Lennart Petrell, C, Edm. -- A goal and an assist. Only people wearing Oilers jerseys at MTS Centre last night knew who this guy was.
2. Devan Dubnyk, G, Edm. -- The Jets looked for the extra pass all night thanks to the play of the Oilers goaltender. He made 27 saves, many on quality chances.
3. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, C, Edm. -- He looks like he's 14 years old; he plays like he's been in the league for a few years. He gave the Jets fits all night with his vision on the ice.
-- Adam Wazny
1. Winnipeg, Wellwood 13 (Antropov, Burmistrov) 15:45 (pp) 2. Edmonton, Whitney 2 (Hall, Dubnyk) 18:13 (pp) 3. Winnipeg, Burmistrov 13 (Byfuglien) 19:27 Penalties
Byfuglien Wpg (holding stick) 5:21, Hall Edm (hooking) 14:00, Kane Wpg (roughing) 17:51, Hall Edm (unsportsmanlike conduct), Little Wpg (roughing) 18:29.
4. Edmonton, Jones 14 (Nugent-Hopkins, Hemsky) 1:54 (pp) 3. Edmonton, Petrell 4, 2:29 6. Edmonton, Hall 23 (Petrell) 9:24 7. Edmonton, Eberle 28 (Smyth, Smid) 17:34 8. Winnipeg, Antropov 9 (Kane, Byfuglien) 18:50 (pp) Penalties
Wheeler Wpg (high-sticking) 0:34, Petrell Edm (closing hand on puck) 13:54, Jones Edm (interference) 17:52.
Shots on goal by
Edmonton 12 4 9 — 25 Winnipeg 7 10 13 — 30
Goal — Edmonton: Dubnyk (W,13-15-1); Winnipeg: Pavelec (L,23-21-7).
Power plays (goals-chances) — Edmonton: 2-3; Winnipeg: 2-3.
Attendance — 15,004 (15,004)
The Jets enjoy a couple days off before taking on the Florida Panthers at the MTS Centre Thursday night. Puck drops at 7:30 p.m (TSN Jets/TSN 1290).