Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 20/9/2019 (257 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Adam Lowry and Andrew Copp are in need of a new linemate, and potentially a new nickname, now that Brandon Tanev has signed with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
The Winnipeg Jets’ TLC line was a favourite among fans, as the hard-working trio of Tanev, Lowry and Copp did all the little things that don’t always show up in the stat sheet.
But with Tanev getting a big payday from Pittsburgh in the off-season — a six-year deal with an average annual value of US$3.5 million — the makeup of the Jets’ third line will look different this season. And with forwards Patrik Laine and Kyle Connor still unsigned, Lowry and Copp might not find themselves in the bottom six for much longer.
The duo sat out the team’s first pre-season game, but they played Wednesday night at Bell MTS Place on a line with Blake Wheeler in a 4-1 win over the Minnesota Wild.
In Friday night’s tilt with the visiting St. Louis Blues, Lowry and Copp were paired with Jack Roslovic, a playmaker who’s hungry for a bigger role this year.
Lowry had a goal, Copp had an assist and Roslovic was held pointless against St. Louis.
"We want Adam to have some experience with some different styles of player(s)," Jets head coach Paul Maurice said after the team’s morning skate on Friday.
"With Brandon leaving, there’s a place there. Both Andrew Copp and Adam Lowry’s game over the last few years has developed that we can now start to think of a different style of player there."
Maurice said Copp and Lowry create time in the offensive zone, so a player with an offensive skill set could capitalize while still being responsible defensively.
"We’re also exposing Jack Roslovic to a different intensity level. So there’s some growth to Jack, too. Play as hard as those two guys, bring your hands to the game and let’s see what we can do."
Maurice later said he wasn’t ready to confirm whether Lowry and Copp will be staying together once the regular season begins.
"Not yet. It’s a known for us, right?" Maurice said of the familiarity of Lowry and Copp together. "Sometimes in these exhibition games, I’ve tried different combinations to the start to get new exposure and then you want to get to the point where you start to see some chemistry."
How the lines are going to shake out this season has fallen on the back burner. The focus has been on Laine and Connor waiting for new contracts, and defenceman Dustin Byfuglien asking for some time away from the team with no set timetable for his return, if there is one.
Lowry, who’s entering his sixth year with the team, was asked if this year’s training camp has felt bizarre with everything surrounding the team.
"No, you know, I think we’ve had (players missing) every year. There’s been different guys," Lowry said. "A couple years ago (Jacob Trouba) wasn’t here. Last year (Josh Morrissey) was out for a couple days. So, obviously you’d like to have the whole complements of your roster here, but those things will work themselves out when they do."
The Jets could use a bump in offensive production from Lowry. In the 2016-17 campaign, he was on pace to have his best scoring season as he had eight goals and 13 assists in 45 games, but he missed nearly half the season due to injury. Despite playing 78 games last season, Lowry had similar numbers, finishing with 12 goals and 11 assists.
Better known for getting the job done in the faceoff circle and making life difficult for the top-scoring threats on the opposition, Lowry said he’s not coming into this year with a focus on putting up bigger numbers.
"I don’t really look at my role as offence or defence. I think I look at my role as going out there and trying to match up against another team’s top line and trying to win that battle, whether that’s keeping them off the score sheet, or that’s outscoring them," Lowry said.
Eighteen years old and still in high school, Taylor got his start with the Free Press on June 1, 2011. Well, sort of.
Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.
To those who have made donations, thank you.
To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.
The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.
After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.
If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.
We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.