Latest Boxscore: Winnipeg: 2 - Dallas: 4 (FINAL)
Record: 31 – 15 – 2
The Winnipeg Jets were back on the ice on Tuesday, preparing for Friday's game vs the Colorado Avalanche. The team has not played since its two games against the Florida Panthers last Thursday and Friday in Helsinki and had Monday off to rest for the week ahead.
After Friday's game, the Jets host New Jew Jersey on Sunday; Washington next Wednesday; and the Sabres the following Friday. It's a four-game homestand that gives the team a chance to improve on its 8-5-1 record. Winnipeg currently holds down a wild card playoff spot in the West, but sits fourth in the Central Division and isn't exactly tearing it up in the early stages of the season.
The offence has sputtered and the team sits 20th in the league in goals. While secondary scoring has been an issue, the team's top line hasn't been the threat it was last year either. Today, Mike McIntyre looks at how the Jets' top unit has stacked up to other teams' top trio so far this season.
I also chat about it with Wiecek in an installment of Say What?!
— Sports editor Steve Lyons
- Tough test: Jets will have their work cut out for them against Colorado's high-octane top-line scoring machine
- Say What?!: Jets take back seat to the Blue Bombers this week
- No slow in Toews: Blackhawks captain shifts gears on his perceived decline.
- Stay humble: Coach-trashing Sens deliver lesson in discretion, Maurice says.
- Privacy invasion: Experts say Ottawa Senators Uber video raises concerns.
What we're reading
- Landing spots: Joel Quenneville’s outstanding resume vaults him to the top of the heap when it comes to coaching candidates, and he could have his pick of the litter for his next post (The Hockey News)
- Mark Spector: Unexpected, undeserved Quenneville firing leaves no NHL coach safe (Sportsnet)
- Don't hate Sens for being human: It was embarrassing for the Senators to get caught on camera dissing their assistant coach, but all they did was something every employed person does when they're off the clock. And it was none of our business, says Matt Larkin of The Hockey News
- ESPN Roundtable: Breakout players, Cup picks, surprise teams and more
In case you missed it
- Mike McIntyre: Lemieux's lapse into lunacy could come at harsh price
- Helter-skelter in Helsinki: Free Press sports reporter Jason Bell recounts tales of memorable journey to friendly Finland
- Coach comments: Paul Maurice discusses Joel Quenneville firing and more after practice on Tuesday
- On the Mark: Jets centre Scheifele talks about game against Colorado and his thoughts on their top line
- RAW: Ottawa Senators players air team’s dirty laundry during Uber ride
Want more on the Jets?
Get all Jets coverage from the Free Press and beyond in your inbox.Subscribe to Flight Club
By subscribing to the above e-mail alerts I agree to receive selected communications from Winnipeg Free Press, even if I have previously opted out from communications. E-mail preferences can be changed at any time under 'My Account->My Email Alerts'.