Latest Boxscore: Buffalo: 2 - Winnipeg: 1 (FINAL (SO))
Record: 11 – 5 – 2
Leading up to the Jets recent trip to Finland, Patrik Laine was clearly struggling with his play and had scored just three goals — all on the power play — through the opening 12 games of the regular season.
But instead of wilting under the pressure of wanting to play well in his homeland, the opposite occurred when the third-year winger scored four times in the two games, bringing his 14-game total to seven goals.
Mike Sawatzky chatted with the 20-year-old's teammates and coach after practice on Wednesday and reports they were aware of the frustration Laine was feeling early in the year and are now confident he can use the experience from Finland to continue his scoring ways back in North America.
The Jets are continuing to get their legs back under them and will have one more practice — today at Bell MTS Place — before returning to game action at home Friday night vs the Colorado Avalanche.
— Sports Editor Steve Lyons
- He's baaack: Jets players, coach figure Laine got the reindeer off his back in Finland.
- Need for speed: Winnipeg has to get back in shape after Finland trip to defeat a quick Colorado team.
- NHL Notebook: Will Sens' Uber video see NHLers go back in their shell?
- Off the floor and on the board: Oshie leaves twice, scores winner to lift Caps over Pens 2-1
What we're reading
- Always a Devil: Martin Brodeur, the soon-to-be Hall of Fame goaltender, wanted to learn about the business side of hockey. So he returned to the place that feels like home (New York Times)
- Executive suite: Commissioner Bettman first guest on interview-style podcast that features in-depth conversations with influential figures in hockey world
- Deal or no deal: Five potential trade destinations for Maple Leafs’ William Nylander (Sportsnet)
- Andrew Berkshire: Why limited opportunity has Flames’ James Neal off to terrible start
- 'Stan should be fired. Terrible GM': Brent Sopel and Daniel Carcillo rip their former team and tweet support for fired Joel Quenneville
In case you missed it
- Say What?!: Jets take back seat to the Blue Bombers this week
- Beware an Avalanche: Jets face tough test against Colorado's high-octane top line
- Mike McIntyre: Lemieux's lapse into lunacy could come at harsh price
- Puck Data: Toews shifts gears on his perceived decline
News and numbers
- Rookie to watch: Canucks forward Elias Pettersson scored a highlight-reel goal on Tuesday and leads all rookies in goals and points this season (10-6—16 in 10 GP). He became the fifth player outside of the NHL’s inaugural season to score 10 or more goals through his first 10 career games
- Getting on in games: Sharks forward Joe Thornton skated in the 1,499th regular-season game of his NHL career on Tuesday and moved into a tie with Mike Modano for 19th place on the league’s all-time list. He is set to become the 19th player in league history and the first No. 1 overall pick in the 55-year history of the NHL Draft to reach the 1,500-game milestone when the Sharks play in Dallas tonight.
- Jet lag: Bryan Little chats about adjusting back to local time
- Coaches corner: Paul Maurice talks with media following team's practice on Wednesday
Want more on the Jets?
Get all Jets coverage from the Free Press and beyond in your inbox.Subscribe to Flight Club
By subscribing to the above e-mail alerts I agree to receive selected communications from Winnipeg Free Press, even if I have previously opted out from communications. E-mail preferences can be changed at any time under 'My Account->My Email Alerts'.