Adam Lowry (left) and Joel Armia signed two-year contract extensions with the Winnipeg Jets Thursday. (John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press files)CFL: Strong start, no finish for Blue
- Paul Wiecek: Bombers' short game falls flat
- NHL: Jets re-sign Lowry, Armia
What we're reading
- Monster masher: Edwin Encarnacion ideal successor for David Ortiz in Boston
- Gearing up for Winter Games: Korean players visit Stars, want to grow game at home
- Testing twist: Intrigue abounds as Colabello returns amid questions about validity of tests
What to watch
- Early tee time: Live coverage of the second round of The Open Championship from Royal Troon Golf Club in Scotland / 5 a.m.-3 p.m. / The Golf Channel
- Friday Night Football: The Alouettes host the Tiger-Cats in a battle of East division rivals / 6:30 p.m. / TSN
- Late night ball: The Toronto Blue Jays are on the west coast to play the Oakland A's / 9 p.m. / Sportsnet
In case you missed it
- Paul Wiecek: Olympic organizers put athletes like Mislawchuk in tough position
- Say what?!: A new form of sports talk as sports editor Steve Lyons and columnist Paul Wiecek discuss the Cubs, the Bombers and much more in an email conversation
Let's look ahead
- Play ball: The Winnipeg Goldeyes continue a nine-game homestand when they open a three-game series vs the Gary Southshore Railcats Friday night at Shaw Park. Game time is 7 p.m.
- Alberta Invaders II: The Bombers' next game is against the Calgary Stampeders — Thursday at IGF. Game time is 7:30 p.m.
- Get ready for Rio: The Summer Games get underway Friday, Aug. 5 and run until Aug. 21.
- Honouring a legend: another accolade for Hall of Famer Ploen
- Baseball: Red Sox acquire all-star lefty Pomeranz from Padres
- CFL: Bombers- Eskimos highlights
- Gotta hear it: Encarnacion surprised by endorsement from Ortiz
- Lip-out for Lefty: Mickelson just misses first 62 in Major history
The Free Press Playbook is published daily.
Want to receive this as an email everyday?Subscribe to Playbook
By subscribing to the above e-mail alerts I agree to receive selected communications from Winnipeg Free Press, even if I have previously opted out from communications. E-mail preferences can be changed at any time under 'My Account->My Email Alerts'.