The questions were different, but the theme was pretty much the same following Jets practice in Minnesota on Monday.
How will the team bounce back?
What will they need to do to bounce back?
Will goalie Connor Hellebuyck be able to bounce back?
The reponses were also slightly different, but unified on a couple of points:
— No team can hope to go 16-0 in the Stanley Cup playoffs;
— The Jets and Hellebuyck were excellent all season at putting a dud behind them.
The common solution was also agreed upon: these Jets have a need for speed — and any other symptoms Sunday were a result of not being up to their normal pace.
Finally, the message was consistent — they'll get back to that in Game 4 Tuesday night.
Paul Wiecek and Jason Bell were at Wild and Jets practices today and have a complete report for you.
— Sports Editor Steve Lyons
- What's up with Myers?: Jets aren't saying much about rangy defenceman's injury status.
- Maurice the conductor: battle-tested Jets coach needs to keep team on right track, writes Paul Wiecek.
- Goldeyes welcome back Mazzola: veteran slides back into hot corner for Winnipeg's professional baseball squad.
- Buds blast Bruins: Matthews, Marleau lead Leafs over Boston to get back in playoff series.
- Devils rally past Lightning: Hall scores, sets up game-winner as New Jersey gets life in series against Tampa Bay.
- Reds pound Brewers: Cincinnati ends eight-game losing streak with 10-4 triumph in Milwaukee.
What we're reading
- Mark Spector: Wild desperation an inevitable obstacle on Jets’ path to second round
- Capital crime: They have to be doing this on purpose
- Bronx bombing: Time for Giancarlo Stanton to shrug off his slowest start yet
In case you missed it
- Angels in heaven: Manitoba squad wins under-16 national ringette championship
- Dump & Chase: Hockey dads grieve for Broncos' families
What to watch
- NHL Playoffs: A total of three games on tap: The Jets will try to rebound from a Game 3 loss, still up 2-1 in the series, when they face the Wild in Minnesota / 7 pm / Sportsnet; the Washington Capitals are down 2-0 to the Blue Jackets and play Game 3 in Columbus / 6:30 pm / Sportsnet360; and the Vegas Golden Knights look to sweep the Kings when they play Game 4 in L.A. / 9:30 pm / CBC
- NBA playoffs: The Toronto Raptors host the Washington Wizards in Game 2 of the teams' opening-round series. Toronto holds a 1-0 lead after scoring a 114-106 win in Game 1 / 6 pm / TSN
Let's look ahead
- Moose call: The local AHL team opens its first-round playoff series vs the Grand Rapids Griffins on Saturday afternoon at Bell MTS Place. Game 2 will be Sunday afternoon and both games are scheduled to start at 2 pm.
- — Spring fever: The Winnipeg Blue Bombers will be holding a mini-camp in Winnipeg April 24-26 featuring feature all the quarterbacks on the roster and a mix of first-year CFL players and veterans, including receivers Adarius Bowman, Nic Demski, defensive backs Chandler Fenner and Anthony Gaitor, and running back Kienan LaFrance.
- Jets Report: Head coach Paul Maurice chats with media folllowing team's practice on Monday
- Wild Report: Head coach Bruce Boudreau says his team is still in a desperate situation
The Free Press Playbook is published daily.
Want to receive this as an email everyday?Subscribe to Playbook
By subscribing to the above e-mail alerts I agree to receive selected communications from Winnipeg Free Press, even if I have previously opted out from communications. E-mail preferences can be changed at any time under 'My Account->My Email Alerts'.