- Grand Central: Mike McIntyre looks at what Jets will face against division foes this season.
- Duo digs karate: mother, son to represent Canada at competiton in Panama.
- Paul Wiecek: Manziel fiasco makes CFL look like a joke
- Goldeyes railroaded: Cleburne wins rubber match of three-game series at Shaw Park.
- Red Sox double up Blue Jays: Devers clubs two-run shot as Boston hands Toronto third straight defeat.
- Shapovalov advances, Raonic bounced: Canadian men win some, lose some at Rogers Cup tennis event in Toronto.
What we're reading
- Bob Weeks: Nine players to consider for the PGA Championship
- Childish Bambino: Nats' Juan Soto is one of the greatest teenagers in MLB history
- Job hunting: NHL free agents who could earn jobs through tryouts
In case you missed it
- No more Mr. Nice Morrissey?: Restricted free agent defenceman remains without deal as clock winds down on summer.
- Still swinging: MLB legend Rafael Palmeiro teammate with son on Railroaders squad.
- Free Press Flashback: Bombers hammer Als 58-2 (in 1981)
What to watch
- Golf: Opening-round action of the PGA Championship from Bellerive Country Club in St. Louis / 1 p.m. / TSN
- MLB: The Toronto Blue Jays wrap up a three-game series at home vs. the Boston Red Sox / 6 p.m. / Sportsnet
- CFL: The Edmonton Eskimos (5-2) are in Vancouver to play the B.C. Lions (2-4) / 9 p.m. / TSN
Let's look ahead
- Back from the bye: The Bombers return to action after one-week break in the schedule when they host the Hamilton Tiger-Cats Friday night at Investors Group Field. Game time is 7:30 p.m.
- Bombers Report: Head coach Mike O'Shea addresses the media following practice on Wednesday
- The Last Expo: Bartolo Colon has 246 major league victories, giving the rotund right-hander the most all-time for a Latin American pitcher
The Free Press Playbook is published daily.
Want to receive this as an email everyday?Subscribe to Playbook
By subscribing to the above e-mail alerts I agree to receive selected communications from Winnipeg Free Press, even if I have previously opted out from communications. E-mail preferences can be changed at any time under 'My Account->My Email Alerts'.