The question I heard more than any other on Thursday folks was: 'Who the heck is Chay Genoway?'
Well, he's from Morden; he played five years of hockey at UND; one game of hockey for the Minnesota Wild; and is currently toiling for HC Lada Togliatti in the KHL. No, I've never heard of that team either — but it sounds like a Russian pasta of some sort!
Most importantly, Genoway is now an Olympian and we're going to learn a lot more about him as we get closer to the Winter Games in Korea.
With no NHL players going to the games, guys like Genoway and Oakbank's Quinton Hawden were named to Canada's team on Thursday. Personally, I think that's kinda cool. The superstars get plenty of ink and plenty of opportunity. For some reason, I think I'd feel more joy for Genoway if he gets to wear a medal around his neck than I would for Sidney Crosby — he has enough hardware, don't ya think.
— Sports Editor Steve Lyons
Winnipeg Jets' Mathieu Perreault.More Manitoban hockey Olympians: Quinton Howden, Chay Genoway to suit up for Canada next month in South Korea.
- Scott Campbell: Maurice moves to the good side of average as Jets soar in first half
- Perreault power: versatile Jets forward producing no matter where he plays in lineup.
- Smooth sailing at Scotties: three teams undefeated after two days at women's provincial curling championship.
- Flames burn Lightning: Calgary crushes league-leaders in Tampa Bay for fifth-straight win.
- Raptors crush Cavs: VanVleet scores career-high 22 points as Toronto's bench comes up big in 133-99 pounding of Cleveland.
What we're reading
New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.No-name brand: But, Canada's roster has experience, speed and skill so there's no reason not to medal
- The search is over for Matt Johnson: Ex-NHL enforcer is in jail in Los Angeles
- Behind the scenes: Tom Brady gave filmmaker Gotham Chopra unusual access to his private life
In case you missed it
- Dump & Chase: Mike McIntyre and Jason Bell take you on an interactive tour around the hockey world
- Explosive talent: Speedskater Heather McLean could make noise at Olympics if she can put training skills to use when it counts
- Sorry about that: San Jose GM dips into cold, dark water to apologize for Sharks' attack on Winnipeg
What to watch
- NHL: The Winnipeg Jets play the second game of a three-game road trip when they face the Blackhawks in Chicago / 7:30 pm / TSN3
Let's look ahead
- Moose call: The local AHL team plays a pair of games against the Iowa Stars, Saturday and Sunday afternoon at Bell MTS Place. Both games gets underway at 2 pm.
Winnipeg Jets head coach Paul Maurice.Jets Report: Head coach Paul Maurice chats with media following team's practice on Thursday in Chicago
- Mountainside chats: Dave Naylor chats with Bombers GM Kyle Walters at CFL meetings in Banff
The Free Press Playbook is published daily.
Want to receive this as an email everyday?Subscribe to Playbook
By subscribing to the above e-mail alerts I agree to receive selected communications from Winnipeg Free Press, even if I have previously opted out from communications. E-mail preferences can be changed at any time under 'My Account->My Email Alerts'.