- France to final: Les Bleus advance to World Cup final after defeating Belgium 1-0 in semifinal.
- Irish stew: Farago back in hometown after leaving Dublin-based pro team, sets sights on joining city's entry in new pro league.
- Say What?:
- Jays beat Braves: Stroman sharp on mound as Toronto knocks Atlanta out of fist place in NL East.
- Orioles edge Yankees: Machado hits two dingers to lead Baltimore to 6-5 win against New York.
What we're reading
- The money trail: Cristiano Ronaldo has signed a deal with Juventus worth over $100 million — here’s how he spends his cash
- The redemption of Gareth Southgate: With empathy, integrity and determination, the manager who missed a penalty at Euro 96 is giving England its chance of glory
- Booze and caviar: Alex Ovechkin continues his epic Stanley Cup celebrations in Russia
In case you missed it
- Paul Wiecek: Masoli on fire in Hamilton, and that's the best thing that could happen in the CFL
- Doug Brown: Nichols back from shop, but rental was nice
- From Wimbledon to Winnipeg: Spanish tennis player looks to bounce back from early exit in England
What to watch
- World Cup: The event's second semifinal has England squaring off against Croatia with the winner playing France in Sunday's final / 12:45 pm / TSN and CTV
- MLB: The Toronto Blue Jays wrap up a two-game series in Atlanta vs the Braves / 6:30 pm / Sportsnet
Let's look ahead
- Last bat: The Winnipeg Goldeyes continue their seven-game homestand with the third game of a four-game set vs the Sioux Falls Canaries. Game time is 7 pm at Shaw Park.
- Left coast rematch: The Bombers head to Vancouver this weekend to play the second half of a home-and-home series vs the B.C. Lions. Game time Saturday night is 9 pm CT
The Free Press Playbook is published daily.
Want to receive this as an email everyday?Subscribe to Playbook
By subscribing to the above e-mail alerts I agree to receive selected communications from Winnipeg Free Press, even if I have previously opted out from communications. E-mail preferences can be changed at any time under 'My Account->My Email Alerts'.