- Croatia comes through: squad defeats England 2-1 in World Cup semifinal to advance to championship game Sunday against France.
- Blue Jays teaching kids: former greats of Canada's MLB team in province to teach kids baseball skills.
- Strength at QB: Blue Bombers enjoying rare luxury of having two effective signal-callers at their disposal.
- Yankees slam Orioles: Bird bashes first career grand slam as New York wallops Baltimore 9-0.
- Red Sox rolling: Sale strikes out 12 as Boston edges Texas Rangers 4-2 for ninth straight victory.
- Giants edge Cubs: Posey's 13th-inning single sends San Francisco to 5-4 win against Chicago.
What we're reading
- Fashionable 50: Sports Illustrated chooses its most stylish athletes
- Feeling the Blues: Offensive transformation appears complete with addition of Patrick Maroon
- Smile for the camera: The most Jay Cutler thing Jay Cutler did on Week 1 of reality show Very Cavallari
In case you missed it
- Say What?!: Bombers look like a winner — but what happens if they're not?
- Upbeat after breakup: Goalkeeper returns to Winnipeg from Ireland hoping to play for home side in new pro circuit
- Doug Brown: Nichols back from shop, but rental was nice
What to watch
- CFL: The undefeated Calgary Stampeders (3-0) are in Ottawa to take on the Redblacks (2-1) / 6:30 pm / TSN
- MLB: The Toronto Blue Jays open a four-game series at Fenway Park vs the Boston Red Sox / 6 pm / Sportsnet
Let's look ahead
- Last bat: The Winnipeg Goldeyes continue their seven-game homestand with the final game of a four-game set vs the Sioux Falls Canaries. Game time is 7 pm at Shaw Park.
- Left coast rematch: The Bombers head to Vancouver this weekend to play the second half of a home-and-home series vs the B.C. Lions. Game time Saturday night is 9 pm CT
- Fore!: The Manitoba men's amateur golf championhip gets underway next Monday at Quarry Oaks, where the first two rounds will be played. The final two rounds will be contested at Glendale.
- Bombers Report: Head Coach Mike O'Shea chats with media following practice on Wednesday
- Pacman knockdown: NFL star retaliates violently after he was attacked by an airport employee in Atlanta
The Free Press Playbook is published daily.
Want to receive this as an email everyday?Subscribe to Playbook
By subscribing to the above e-mail alerts I agree to receive selected communications from Winnipeg Free Press, even if I have previously opted out from communications. E-mail preferences can be changed at any time under 'My Account->My Email Alerts'.