- Streveler to lead Blue Bombers: rookie QB gets the start in Thursday's season opener against Eskimos.
- Raise it to the Rafter: former Balmoral Hall Blazer returns to hometown with NWHL championship trophy in tow.
- Boshers brilliant: Goldeyes starter tosses gem in 2-1 win against RailCats at Shaw Park.
- Rays double up Jays: Bauer's first career home run highlights Tampa Bay's 8-4 win over Toronto.
- Marlins down Giants: Bumgarner blows six-inning lead before ejection in just his second game of season.
What we're reading
- Mark Spector: In praise of Alex Ovechkin’s rowdy Stanley Cup celebrations
- Triple Crown Brouhaha: Did alliance ensure a Justify victory?
- Killin' it: Jim Carrey was a big fan of the Brewers' bullpen cart-aided recreation of 'Dumb and Dumber'
In case you missed it
- World Cup preview: A group by group rundown of the nations battling for global supremacy in Russia starting Thursday
- Cramped quarters: Jets dressing room may be too full of forwards for Petan
What to watch
- MLB: The Toronto Blue Jays play the second game of a three-game series in Tampa vs the Rays / 6 pm / Sportsnet
Let's look ahead
- Home cooking: The Goldeyes continue a six-game homestand with the second of three games vs the Gary Southshore Railcats. Game time is 7 pm.
- Home opener: The Blue Bombers play their first game of the 2018 CFL regular season when they host the Edmonton Eskimos on Thursday. Game time is 7:30 pm.
- Fore!: The US Open gets underway on Thursday from Shinnecock Hills Golf Club in Southampton, N.Y.
- Bombers Report: Head coach Mike O'Shea chats with the media following team's first practice of the week on Monday
- What are the odds?: A's fan catches two foul balls on consecutive pitches
The Free Press Playbook is published daily.
Want to receive this as an email everyday?Subscribe to Playbook
By subscribing to the above e-mail alerts I agree to receive selected communications from Winnipeg Free Press, even if I have previously opted out from communications. E-mail preferences can be changed at any time under 'My Account->My Email Alerts'.