Decio de Maria, President of the Football Association of Mexico, left, and Canadian soccer player Alphonso Davies, right, present a joint United bid to host the 2026 World Cup at the FIFA congress.Bombers 5 Storylines: 2018 CFL season kicks off tonight with the Edmonton Eskimos in Winnipeg to take on the Blue Bombers.
- Overjoyed: local reaction to World Cup coming to Canada in 2026.
- Paul Wiecek: thankfully this will be the last season CFL teams with the means can stack their non-player roster.
- Goldeyes fall to RailCats: Gary SouthShore hangs on to win 12-11 in 10 innings at Shaw Park to deny Winnipeg a three-game sweep.
- Saleing along: Red Sox pitcher Sale dominant as Boston beats Baltimore Orioles 5-1.
What we're reading
LeBron James is a free agent this summer.Everything's not OK: Retired NHLer Nick Boynton writes about his struggles with depression, anxiety and substance abuse
- Player rankings: Reilly reclaims top spot in CFL on TSN Top 50
- Courting the King: How every team in NBA can pitch LeBron
In case you missed it
- Paul Wiecek: Is trading Trouba Jets' best option?
- Her Cup runneth over: Tatania Rafter enjoying life after championship win
- Fit to a tee: Larry Robinson and Robin Henderson learned to play golf together as kids; the two lifelong buddies and club pros are together again at Bridges
What to watch
Winnipeg Blue Bombers play the Edmonton Eskimos Thursday.CFL: The Winnipeg Blue Bombers kick off their season with a game vs the Edmonton Eskimos at IGF / 7:30 pm / TSN
- World Cup: First-round action gets underway with host Russia playing Saudi Arabia (9:45 am / CTV, Fox and TSN)
- Golf: First-round action of the U.S. Open from Shinnecock Hills Golf Club in Southampton, N.Y. / 8:30 am-3:30 pm / TSN
Let's look ahead
- Hitting the road: The Winnipeg Goldeyes are off today before opening a three-game weekend series in Sioux Falls vs the Canaries Friday night. The team returns home to host Kansas City for three games starting Monday.
- Pick 'em: The NHL Draft is just around the corner — June 22 and 23 in Dallas.
The Free Press Playbook is published daily.
Want to receive this as an email everyday?Subscribe to Playbook
By subscribing to the above e-mail alerts I agree to receive selected communications from Winnipeg Free Press, even if I have previously opted out from communications. E-mail preferences can be changed at any time under 'My Account->My Email Alerts'.