We The North is spreading east and west folks.
The Toronto Raptors opened their Eastern Final Wednesday vs the Milwaukee Bucks and the nation appears to have embraced the NBA team as its chance to celebrate a championship this spring. I'm sure you're all aware the final four teams in the Stanley Cup are from the States, right?
Kwahi Leonard's historic buzzer beater on Sunday in Game 7 vs the Sixers wasn't quite the same as Joe Carter's home run to win the World Series, but it sent Toronto sports fans into a frenzy and the buzz is spreading beyond the GTA.
The team didn't get off to a good start in Game 1, dropping a 108-100 decision after leading for a good portion of the contest, but will look to rebound in Game 2 Friday night before the series shifts north of the border for Game 3 on Sunday.
- Contract talks: Players, pundits react to news of deal between CFL, players
- Bucks chucking: Raptors drop opener
- Opinion: NHL final four offer valuable lessons for Jets, other also-rans
- No way, San Jose: Karlsson, Sharks beat Blues 5-4 after controversial no-call
- Feeling the fire: Valour FC expecting big challenge from Forge
What we're reading
- Ken Campbell: Sabres GM Jason Botterill puts his job on the line with out-of-the-box hiring of Ralpy Krueger and that's a good thing (The Hockey News)
- Ranking NFL QB commitment: How married all 32 teams are to their starters (ESPN)
- Pressure and thrills: What it's like to sit in the press box at a football match (The Guardian)
- The Gambler: Meet the man who won $1.2 million on Tiger Woods (Golf Digest)
In case you missed it
- Babych bros. back worthy cause: Former NHLers step up to help the homeless
- Hitting the books: He'd rather be competing for the Cup, but Jets Andrew Copp is OK with summer school
- Breaking ground on the mound: Brittney Langlais is the first 'girl' of summer in the Manitoba Junior Baseball League's 43-year-history, but competing with and against the guys is old hat for skilled pitcher
- Back on the pitch: Valour FC returns to action tonight when they play host to Forge FC (Hamilton) at IF Field. That's the place formerly known as Investors Group Field in case you missed the name change last week. Game time is 7 p.m.
- Opening pitch: The Winnipeg Goldeyes play their first regular season game today when they start a four-game series on the road vs the Texas Airhogs. The team's home opener is Friday, May 24 vs Kansas City