Full week ahead folks.
I'll start by saying I'm not surprised the Bombers pulled it off in Calgary — the Stamps had nothing on the line and played like it. On the other hand, the Blue and Gold had everything to gain from a win — and they definitely played like it.
It won't be the first CFL post-season game on Sunday at IGF, only the first one the Bombers are playing in. The new ballyard hosted the 103rd Grey Cup in 2015 and the Eskimos walked off the field victorious that day — I'm sure you're hoping they don't do that again this week when they face the Bombers in the West semifinal. Game time is 3:30 pm.
Also this week, the Jets play their first-ever game in Vegas. Mike McIntyre is on the road with the NHL team and will have a feature report on all the Winnipeg connections to the Golden Knights' first year of existence in our Friday paper. I'm betting he bumps into a few of you on The Strip. Be careful out there y'all.
In local amateur action, a number of titles will be determined:
— The U of M Bisons women's soccer team is hosting the national championship this week — indoors by the way at Subway Soccer South. The Bisons are seeded No. 7 in the eight-team field and play their opening game of the event on Thursday vs Trinity Western @ 6 pm;
— And, the Winnipeg High School Football League will hold its championship tilts Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings at IGF.
We'll have coverage of all the games at winnipegfreepress.com
— Sports editor Steve Lyons
Bombers Quarterback Matt NicholsWheeler comes up big: Jets captain leads 4-1 dismantling of Stars with four assists.
- Bombers QB questionable: Nichols nursing nagging injuries with West semifinal less than week away at IGF.
- Optimistic underdogs: Bisons women's soccer team set to host U Sports national championship this weekend.
- Leafs top Golden Knights: Marner scores shootout winner in 4-3 victory in Toronto.
- Caps beat Coyotes: Carlson snipes in OT for 3-2 Washington win.
- 'Tobans at pre-trials: Einarson, Birchard score first-game wins at Canadian Olympic pre-trials playdowns in P.E.I.
What we're reading
Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton.Paradise Papers: F1 champ Lewis Hamilton avoided taxes on £17m jet using Isle of Man scheme
- Centres of attention: Just how much better is Matt Duchene than Kyle Turris?
- Doubling down on Jets: Hockey News buoyed by seeing Sports Illustrated Astros prediction coming true
What to watch
- NBA: The Toronto Raptors look to rebound from a sloppy loss to the Washington Wizards at home on Sunday when they host the Chicago Bulls / 6:30 pm / TSN
In case you missed it
Winnipeg Blue Bombers quarterback Dan LeFevour is sacked by Calgary Stampeders.Paul Wiecek: No place in pro sports for weed users — the heroes line up for harder stuff
- Jeff Hamilton: 5 Takeaways from Bombers' win over Stamps
- Jets Stars highlights: Winnipeg wins 4-1 in Dallas
- They're hitched!: Photos of Kate Upton and Justin Verlander’s wedding
The Free Press Playbook is published daily.
Want to receive this as an email everyday?Subscribe to Playbook
By subscribing to the above e-mail alerts I agree to receive selected communications from Winnipeg Free Press, even if I have previously opted out from communications. E-mail preferences can be changed at any time under 'My Account->My Email Alerts'.