- Nichols back on the field: Bombers quarterback sports glove on injured throwing hand but rifles passes in practice.
- Perreault putting on show: gritty, dimunitive Jets forward punching above his weight to start NHL season.
- Pens in the House: Trump celebrates visit from the Staney Cup champions.
- Messi, Messi, Messi: superstar scores hat trick to ensure Argentina's entry in World Cup with 3-1 win against Ecuador.
- Knights light up Vegas: latest NHL franchise plays first home game in city still smarting from crazed shooter's killing spree.
What we're reading
- The pressure's on: 5 NHL players who have plenty to prove this season
- Grocery list: Feeding an NFL team for a week? Start with 700 pounds of chicken
- I'm on fire for you baby: Husband and wife make a bet on the Cowboys-Packers game where the winner gets to burn the opposing team's jersey. The couple got drunk and the wife (a Packers fan) set her husband's jersey on fire — while he was still wearing it!
What to watch
- MLB: The New York Yankees are in Cleveland to play a fifth and deciding game against the Indians in the ALDS. The winner goes on to play the Houston Astros in the ALCS / 7 pm / Sportsnet One
In case you missed it
- Doug Brown: Bombers can learn plenty from humbling loss to Ticats
- The Jonas Era: Former QB takes stroll down memory lane for new book on Bombers
Let's look ahead
- End of the road: The Jets wrap up their first trip of the season on Thursday night when they play the Vancouver Canucks. Game time is 9 CT.
- On the rebound: The Bombers look to bounce back from their loss to the Ticats last Friday at IGF when they host the B.C. Lions on Saturday. Game time is 3 pm
- Moose call: The local AHL team plays its home opener on Friday when the Cleveland Monsters are in town. Game time is 7 pm.
- Bombers Report: Offensive co-ordinator Paul LaPolice chats with media following practice on Tuesday
- The Donald: President Trump welcomes Penguins to White House
The Free Press Playbook is published daily.
Want to receive this as an email everyday?Subscribe to Playbook
By subscribing to the above e-mail alerts I agree to receive selected communications from Winnipeg Free Press, even if I have previously opted out from communications. E-mail preferences can be changed at any time under 'My Account->My Email Alerts'.