Lot of folks breathing easier around these parts. The Jets finally got off the schneid with their first win of the new season, 5-2 in Edmonton Monday night. Then Tuesday morning, Bombers QB Matt Nichols was out taking reps with the first-team offence as the team hit the field for its first practice since Friday's humbling — and potentially devastating — loss to the Ticats. The road ahead has the local teams facing a couple of familiar foes this week: The Jets are in Vancouver to play the Canucks Thursday night — game time is 9 CT, so plan for a nap Friday afternoon if you stay up late for that one. Then, the Bombers entertain the B.C. Lions Saturday afternoon at IGF — game time is 3 pm, so plan for a nap on the couch later that evening... unless you're planning to also watch the Jets host Carolina at 6 o'clock. Mike Sawatzky (Bombers) and Jason Bell (Jets) have updates on the two teams and the games ahead. — Sports editor Steve Lyons
Winnipeg Blue Bombers starting quarterback Matt Nichols at practice at Investors Group Field Tuesday morning.
Mathieu Perreault.Nichols back on the field: Bombers quarterback sports glove on injured throwing hand but rifles passes in practice.
- Perreault putting on show: gritty, dimunitive Jets forward punching above his weight to start NHL season.
- Pens in the House: Trump celebrates visit from the Staney Cup champions.
- Messi, Messi, Messi: superstar scores hat trick to ensure Argentina's entry in World Cup with 3-1 win against Ecuador.
- Knights light up Vegas: latest NHL franchise plays first home game in city still smarting from crazed shooter's killing spree.
What we're reading
Winnipeg Jets goalie Connor Hellebuyck has something to prove this season.The pressure's on: 5 NHL players who have plenty to prove this season
- Grocery list: Feeding an NFL team for a week? Start with 700 pounds of chicken
- I'm on fire for you baby: Husband and wife make a bet on the Cowboys-Packers game where the winner gets to burn the opposing team's jersey. The couple got drunk and the wife (a Packers fan) set her husband's jersey on fire — while he was still wearing it!
What to watch
- MLB: The New York Yankees are in Cleveland to play a fifth and deciding game against the Indians in the ALDS. The winner goes on to play the Houston Astros in the ALCS / 7 pm / Sportsnet One
In case you missed it
Former Winnipeg Blue Bombers QB Don Jonas.Doug Brown: Bombers can learn plenty from humbling loss to Ticats
- The Jonas Era: Former QB takes stroll down memory lane for new book on Bombers
Let's look ahead
- End of the road: The Jets wrap up their first trip of the season on Thursday night when they play the Vancouver Canucks. Game time is 9 CT.
- On the rebound: The Bombers look to bounce back from their loss to the Ticats last Friday at IGF when they host the B.C. Lions on Saturday. Game time is 3 pm
- Moose call: The local AHL team plays its home opener on Friday when the Cleveland Monsters are in town. Game time is 7 pm.
- Bombers Report: Offensive co-ordinator Paul LaPolice chats with media following practice on Tuesday
- The Donald: President Trump welcomes Penguins to White House
The Free Press Playbook is published daily.
Want to receive this as an email everyday?Subscribe to Playbook
By subscribing to the above e-mail alerts I agree to receive selected communications from Winnipeg Free Press, even if I have previously opted out from communications. E-mail preferences can be changed at any time under 'My Account->My Email Alerts'.