The folks in Vegas did things right Tuesday night as the new NHL team not only had its first-ever regular season home opener, but also paid tribute to the victims of the recent mass shooting that killed 58 people and injured 489 others. Our old friend Gary Lawless, who works for the Golden Knights, wrote a great piece on NHL.com describing the spirt of the evening. See the link below, along with another strong description of the proceedings from the L.A. Times. Here at home, Bombers QB Matt Nichols was emphatic on Wednesday that he's good to go for the team's game against the B.C. Lions on Saturday at IGF. The Bombers have had their fair share of QBs going down to injury late in a winning season — the man they call Matty Ice seems determined he will not do the same. — Sports editor Steve Lyons
Byfuglien with his catch in a photo tweeted out by Sturgeon Slayers, a B.C. fishing guide.Feeling 'great': Bombers quarterback Matt Nichols declares he and his injured throwing hand will start Saturday against the B.C. Lions.
- Big Buff reels in big one: injured Jets defenceman lands monster sturgeon while fishing in the Fraser River in B.C.
- Turning Moose loose: Manitoba's AHL squad appears to have the firepower to produce many goals this season.
- Nationals force decisive Game 5: Strasburg pitches seven dominant innings as Washington shuts out the defending World Series champion Chicago Cubs 5-0.
- Comeback complete: N.Y. Yankees rally from two games down to defeat Cleveland Indians in five-game series and advance to ALCS against Houston Astros.
- Pens edge Caps: Hornqvist nets two points in season debut as Pittsburgh defeats Washington 3-2.
What we're reading
Winnipeg Jets' Mark ScheifeleVegas Insider: Ex-Freep columnist Gary Lawless writes about how his new home showed its spirit during home opener
- And he wasn't the only one impressed: L.A. Times hockey writer reports how Golden Knights provided catharsis for city trying to cope with tragedy
- Rating the competition: Jets centre Mark Scheifele weighs in on The Players Tribune 5 Toughest
What to watch
- NHL: The Winnipeg Jets close out a three-game road trip with a game against the Vancouver Canucks / 9 pm / TSN3
- NFL: The Thursday night matchup has a pair of 4-1 teams clashing as the Philadelphia Eagles visit the Carolina Panthers / 7:25 pm / CBS
In case you missed it
Mathieu PerreaultDoug Brown: Bombers can learn plenty from humbling loss to Ticats
- Strong start: Gritty Perreault has a goal and two assists in first three games
Let's look ahead
- On the rebound: The Bombers look to bounce back from their loss to the Ticats last Friday at IGF when they host the B.C. Lions on Saturday. Game time is 3 pm
- Moose call: The local AHL team plays its home opener on Friday when the Cleveland Monsters are in town. Game time is 7 pm.
The Free Press Playbook is published daily.
Want to receive this as an email everyday?Subscribe to Playbook
By subscribing to the above e-mail alerts I agree to receive selected communications from Winnipeg Free Press, even if I have previously opted out from communications. E-mail preferences can be changed at any time under 'My Account->My Email Alerts'.