- Feeling 'great': Bombers quarterback Matt Nichols declares he and his injured throwing hand will start Saturday against the B.C. Lions.
- Big Buff reels in big one: injured Jets defenceman lands monster sturgeon while fishing in the Fraser River in B.C.
- Turning Moose loose: Manitoba's AHL squad appears to have the firepower to produce many goals this season.
- Nationals force decisive Game 5: Strasburg pitches seven dominant innings as Washington shuts out the defending World Series champion Chicago Cubs 5-0.
- Comeback complete: N.Y. Yankees rally from two games down to defeat Cleveland Indians in five-game series and advance to ALCS against Houston Astros.
- Pens edge Caps: Hornqvist nets two points in season debut as Pittsburgh defeats Washington 3-2.
What we're reading
- Vegas Insider: Ex-Freep columnist Gary Lawless writes about how his new home showed its spirit during home opener
- And he wasn't the only one impressed: L.A. Times hockey writer reports how Golden Knights provided catharsis for city trying to cope with tragedy
- Rating the competition: Jets centre Mark Scheifele weighs in on The Players Tribune 5 Toughest
What to watch
- NHL: The Winnipeg Jets close out a three-game road trip with a game against the Vancouver Canucks / 9 pm / TSN3
- NFL: The Thursday night matchup has a pair of 4-1 teams clashing as the Philadelphia Eagles visit the Carolina Panthers / 7:25 pm / CBS
In case you missed it
- Doug Brown: Bombers can learn plenty from humbling loss to Ticats
- Strong start: Gritty Perreault has a goal and two assists in first three games
Let's look ahead
- On the rebound: The Bombers look to bounce back from their loss to the Ticats last Friday at IGF when they host the B.C. Lions on Saturday. Game time is 3 pm
- Moose call: The local AHL team plays its home opener on Friday when the Cleveland Monsters are in town. Game time is 7 pm.
The Free Press Playbook is published daily.
Want to receive this as an email everyday?Subscribe to Playbook
By subscribing to the above e-mail alerts I agree to receive selected communications from Winnipeg Free Press, even if I have previously opted out from communications. E-mail preferences can be changed at any time under 'My Account->My Email Alerts'.