Malik Leggett (left), 9, celebrates with his dad, Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ Moe Leggett (31).
WAYNE GLOWACKI / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
Tyler Myers skating at the BELL MTS Iceplex with teammates Monday.Focused and fit: Tyler Myers is looking forward to a productive season with the Jets after last season was filled with adversity
- Always looking to improve: Jets prospect Brendan Lemieux lost weight and added speed during the off season
- Doug Brown: Bombers' trick play worked to perfection
- 19 and counting: the Cleveland Indians won their 19th game in a row with a 11-0 thrashing of the Detroit Tigers
- Viking conquest: The Minnesota Vikings opened the season with a decisive win over the New Orleans Saints and their former star Adrian Peterson
- Jays win battle of the birds: Toronto tops Baltimore 4-3
What we're reading
Henrik SedinDear Vancouver: Sedins chronicle how they are committed to play for Canucks until the end of their careers
- Jeff Blair: Why shutting down Aaron Sanchez provides more questions than answers
- The Carter Effect: Is there a fit for Vince to return to Raptors?
What to watch
- MLB: The Toronto Blue Jays host the Baltimore Orioles in the middle game of a three-game series at Rogers Centre / 6 pm / Sportsnet
In case you missed it
Josh Romanski (23) and David Bergen (13) celebrate scoring against the Saints.Looking to repeat: Winnipeg Goldeyes win playoff series vs Saltdogs to earn chance to defend title
- Jeff Hamilton's 5 Takeaways: Banjo Bowl the win Bombers needed
- Bigger, stronger: Kyle Connor wants to stick — and stay — with Jets this season
Let's look ahead
- Bring on the Wingnuts: The Goldeyes open the American Association final series Wednesday in Wichita. Game 2 is Thursday before the teams return to Winnipeg for Game 3 on Saturday. Games 4 and 5, if necessary, would be played Sunday and Monday — also at Shaw Park.
- Ice time: The Winnipeg Jets will open training camp on Friday and will play their first pre-season game of the season the following Monday (Sept. 18) when they host the Minnesota Wild.
- Bye bye: The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are off for a week after their game against the Riders. They're back in action on Friday, Sept. 22 when they host the Ottawa Redblacks.
Winnipeg Jets general manager Kevin CheveldayoffChevy one-on-one: Winnipeg Jets GM sits down with Bob McKenzie to discuss the team's outlook for the upcoming season
- The man in the red bandana: Welles Crowther, a former Boston College lacrosse player whose trademark was a red bandana, led people to safety after terrorists struck the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001
- Vikings conquer Saints: Minnesota's new running back upstages the club's old running back in season-opening victory over New Orleans
The Free Press Playbook is published daily.
Want to receive this as an email everyday?Subscribe to Playbook
By subscribing to the above e-mail alerts I agree to receive selected communications from Winnipeg Free Press, even if I have previously opted out from communications. E-mail preferences can be changed at any time under 'My Account->My Email Alerts'.