- Hall-of-fame hands on deck: Oates gives instruction to Jets stars.
- Dump & Chase: Free Press hockey writers McIntyre and Bell are back with their weekly feature of digital slices of hockey life.
- The Handoff: Jeff Hamilton and Andrew Harris chat in podcast about Bombers season so far and what's ahead after the bye week
- Red Sox reach 100: Boston beats Toronto Blue Jays 1-0 to reach century mark in wins for first time since 1946.
- Athletics clobber Orioles: Oakland does all its scoring in third inning in 10-0 rout of Baltimore.
What we're reading
- Family man: Steve Yzerman sticks to values in ‘bittersweet’ decision to leave Lightning
- Timing is everything: OK, now the Canadiens can fire Marc Bergevin
- Just for kicks: Women were asked if they'd wear LeBron's new shoes
In case you missed it
- Great expectations: Free Press hockey writers Jason Bell and Mike McIntyre take a look at the Jets season to come
- Doug Brown: Iceman Nichols melts down trying to force things Bombers' way
What to watch
- MLB: The Toronto Blue Jays wrap up a three-games series in Boston vs the Red Sox / 6 pm / Sportsnet
- NFL: Week 2 of the season kicks off with the Baltimore Ravens playing the Bengals in Cincinnati / 7:20 pm / TSN
Let's look ahead
- Going to camp: The Winnipeg Jets will open their training camp this week, with their first on-ice sessions on Friday. The team's first pre-season game is Monday, Sept. 17 when the Minnesota Wild visit Bell MTS Place.
- Bye bye: The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have a week off in the CFL schedule and will return to action on Friday, Sept. 21 when they host the Montreal Alouettes.
The Free Press Playbook is published daily.
Want to receive this as an email everyday?Subscribe to Playbook
By subscribing to the above e-mail alerts I agree to receive selected communications from Winnipeg Free Press, even if I have previously opted out from communications. E-mail preferences can be changed at any time under 'My Account->My Email Alerts'.