- Camp Gottawinacup: Free Press hockey writers Jason Bell and Mike McIntyre offer eight storylines and eight players to watch as Jets open their eighth training camp.
- Senators ship Karlsson: Ottawa sends all-star defenceman to San Jose Sharks in team's first major move since announcing rebuild.
- Johnny Football not happy: Manziel wondering why he's not starting next game for Alouettes.
- Jays get swept: Martinez belts 41st home run as Red Sox beat Toronto 4-2 to sweep three-game series.
- Bengals pounce on Ravens: Dalton throws four touchdown passes in 34-23 victory.
- A's win streak snapped: Orioles win 5-3 in Baltimore to put a stop to Oakland's six-game victory run.
What we're reading
- Steal of a deal: Acquiring Erik Karlsson at 'rental' price is a coup for Sharks
- Answer this: A question for each NHL team heading into training camp
- Mark Spector: What Oilers need to return to contention this season
In case you missed it
- Sewing Oates: Jets stars receive on-ice instruction from puckhandling master
- Doug Brown: Iceman Nichols melts down trying to force things Bombers' way
What to watch
- MLB: The Toronto Blue Jays open a three-game series tonight in New York vs the Yankees / 6 pm / Sportsnet
- CFL: The B.C. Lions (4-6) are in Montreal to take on the Alouettes (3-8) / 6:30 pm / TSN
Let's look ahead
- Off to camp: The Winnipeg Jets will open their training camp today with on-ice testing sessions. Their first on-ice practices will be Saturday @ 9 am and noon at the Iceplex. The team's first pre-season game is Monday when the Minnesota Wild visit Bell MTS Place.
- Bye bye: The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have a week off in the CFL schedule and will return to action on Friday, Sept. 21 when they host the Montreal Alouettes.
The Free Press Playbook is published daily.
Want to receive this as an email everyday?Subscribe to Playbook
By subscribing to the above e-mail alerts I agree to receive selected communications from Winnipeg Free Press, even if I have previously opted out from communications. E-mail preferences can be changed at any time under 'My Account->My Email Alerts'.