Arts & Life
Canstar Community News
Discarded smoking material was the cause of a Monday fire on Whitby Crescent, the Office of the Fire Commissioner has determined.
Flames were through the roof of the house when Steinbach Fire Department arrived on the scene.
Fire Chief Kel Toews said the upstairs tenants escaped without injuries while the downstairs tenants weren’t home.
The home was a total loss with damage pegged at about $500,000 according to the Office of the Fire Commissioner.
They refused to explain how the smoking material was discarded and how it caused the fire.
Houses on either side also sustained damage including melted siding.
Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.
To those who have made donations, thank you.
To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.
The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.
After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.
If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.
We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.