Barbecue caused blaze in South Point Douglas residence: city


Advertise with us

City officials say a blaze that broke out in a single-storey duplex in South Point Douglas this week is believed to have originated from a barbecue.

The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service has released the details of its Wednesday evening response to reports of a fire in a residence on Curtis Avenue.

Firefighters found smoke coming from a house when they arrived on the scene around 8:45 p.m. on May 24, according to a news release that indicates they put out the fire from inside the house and declared it under control within 40 minutes.

“The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, originating with the barbecue,” it states, while also noting the City of Winnipeg’s safety tips for grilling — including: never leave a barbecue unattended and only use it outdoors.

All occupants self-evacuated prior to crews’ arrival and no injuries were reported. The city’s emergency social services team supported one displaced resident to find temporary shelter.

Report Error Submit a Tip


Advertise With Us