Seniors evacuated from fire at care home


Advertise with us

Six seniors were taken to hospital and 25 were assessed by paramedics after a fire broke out in a North End seniors facility early Thursday.

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service said many residents with disabilities were trapped in their suites inside the St. Josephat Selo-Villa on McGregor Street by heavy smoke and flames. The residents were evacuated by firefighters at 1:20 a.m.

All seniors taken to hospital were in stable condition.

The fire was declared under control at 2:09 a.m., with most of the fire damage contained in a third floor suite while other parts of the building suffered smoke and water damage.

The fire is believed to be caused by an accidental electrical issue. No damage estimate is available at this time.




Report Error Submit a Tip


Advertise With Us