Colombia’s government says ELN guerrillas kidnapped the father of Liverpool striker Luis Díaz

Advertisement

Advertise with us

BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) — Colombia's government said Thursday that the guerrilla group National Liberation Army, known as ELN, was responsible for the weekend kidnapping of the father of Liverpool and Colombian national soccer team striker Luis Díaz.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Monthly Digital Subscription

$0 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*No charge for 4 weeks then price increases to the regular rate of $19.00 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

Monthly Digital Subscription

$4.75/week*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $19 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

No thanks

*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $16.99 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $23.99 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 02/11/2023 (758 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) — Colombia’s government said Thursday that the guerrilla group National Liberation Army, known as ELN, was responsible for the weekend kidnapping of the father of Liverpool and Colombian national soccer team striker Luis Díaz.

The peace delegation of the government, which is currently in negotiations with ELN, said in a statement it was “officially aware” that the kidnapping had been “perpetrated by a unit that belongs to ELN.”

“We demand that the ELN releases immediately Mr. Luis Manuel Díaz and we say as of now that they are entirely responsible to secure his life and integrity,” said Otty Patiño, who leads the peace delegation.

Gabriel Díaz, center, uncle of Liverpool striker, Luis Diaz, and other family members, attend a vigil for the release of the soccer star´s father, in Barrancas, La Guajira department, Colombia, Tuesday, Oct. 31, 2023. The parents of the 26-year-old Diaz were reportedly kidnapped as they drove to their home. Cilenis Marulanda, mother of the Colombian soccer player, was rescued by police in Barrancas, Colombia’s President Gustavo Petro said. (AP Photo/Leo Carrillo)
Gabriel Díaz, center, uncle of Liverpool striker, Luis Diaz, and other family members, attend a vigil for the release of the soccer star´s father, in Barrancas, La Guajira department, Colombia, Tuesday, Oct. 31, 2023. The parents of the 26-year-old Diaz were reportedly kidnapped as they drove to their home. Cilenis Marulanda, mother of the Colombian soccer player, was rescued by police in Barrancas, Colombia’s President Gustavo Petro said. (AP Photo/Leo Carrillo)

Both parents of Liverpool’s Díaz were kidnapped by armed men on motorcycles on Saturday at a gas station in the small town of Barrancas. The footballer’s mother, Cilenis Marulanda, was rescued within hours by police who set up roadblocks around the town of 40,000 people, which is near Colombia’s border with Venezuela.

Díaz’s father remained missing, which triggered special forces to search for him in a mountain range that straddles both countries and is covered by cloud forest. Police also offered a $48,000 reward for information leading to Diaz’s father.

Díaz is one of the most talented players on Colombia’s national team and currently plays for Liverpool in the English Premier League, which he joined last year in a deal worth $67 million.

The 26-year-old striker was absent from Liverpool’s match against Nottingham Forest on Sunday. Díaz’s teammates expressed their solidarity with the Colombian by holding up one of his jerseys on the pitch after scoring the team’s first goal in their 3-0 victory.

Report Error Submit a Tip

World

LOAD MORE