August 16, 2017


21° C, Partly cloudy

Full Forecast


Advertise With Us

Bam, bam, bam... 'we started running'

It didn't take long for staff to know what was going on

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 16/9/2013 (1429 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

WASHINGTON -- Standing at an ATM in the first-floor atrium of the building where she works at the Washington Navy Yard, Patricia Ward was startled by a rapid succession of sharp noises that seemed to come from overhead.

Bam, bam, bam...

Philadelphia Phillies observe a moment of silence in honour of the Navy Yard shooting victims.


YONG KIM / MCT Philadelphia Phillies observe a moment of silence in honour of the Navy Yard shooting victims.

It was about 8:15 a.m. Monday in Building 197, a brick edifice that houses employees of the Naval Sea Systems Command.

"Was that a gunshot?" one of Ward's companions wondered aloud. They were on their way to have breakfast in the cafeteria nearby.

More loud cracks came almost instantly.

"We knew it then," Ward said. "We just started running."

So began a morning of tragedy and terror, a mass shooting that killed a dozen victims and injured 14 others at the historic facility. A 34-year-old Texas man apparently armed with high-powered guns allegedly opened fire, leaving a trail of bodies before he died after exchanging gunfire with police, authorities said.

His motive remains a mystery, and the precise sequence of events has yet to become clear. But for those who survived, who saw or heard what happened as they crouched under a desk, stood flat against a wall or lay prostrate on the floor beneath a table, the memory is indelible.

-- -- --

This being a military installation, many on the Navy Yard grounds, on the north bank of the Anacostia River, had already been busy for a while. Tim Birkenbuel, a navy contractor, was in his second-floor office when he heard what sounded "like a table falling on concrete."

He heard the same sound again, and again -- what turned out to be several gunshots in rapid succession. Some of his co-workers ran to the glass panels that surround the building's atrium to see what was going on. Birkenbuel then barricaded them in the office for safety. And they waited.

Mark Vandroff, a retired navy captain, had arrived by Metro from his home in Bethesda, Md., at 5:50 a.m. He had already worked out in the Navy Yard's gym, showered, read through his emails and was on the third floor preparing for a meeting about the planned purchase of Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyers.

A floor above him, Anthony Salemi, a logistics expert, was settling in at his desk. Down the hall, a dozen top civilian officials of the navy's Senior Executive Service were scheduled to soon meet for a briefing on billions of dollars worth of purchases.

Then came the sound. A conference table falling, Salemi thought.

He headed toward a staircase. Then, like Patricia Ward, Salemi heard a second series of sharp cracks -- bang, bang, bang -- and he broke into a sprint.

Vandroff heard the initial noise, too, and like the others, he wondered what it was.

"The first sound that I heard, that I now think was gunfire... was a loud sound shortly after 8," Vandroff recalled. "It sounded unusual, and we all looked at each other around the table, like, 'What the heck was that?' And then, the second sound, that was definitely gunfire. That was the unmistakable sound of gunfire. And it was very, very loud... After that, people started screaming: 'Close the doors! Close the doors!'"

Vandroff and eight others in the third-floor conference room stood up. Someone shut the door, but it didn't have a lock. They decided to barricade. They flipped the conference table on its side. They wedged it under the door handle and packed chairs behind it. Then they got down on the floor. Another burst of gunfire sounded, this one closer. Vandroff looked up when the sound stopped. There were two bullet holes near the top of a wall as the gunfire continued.

Rick Mason, a program management analyst, told the Associated Press a gunman was shooting from a fourth-floor overlook in the hallway outside his office. He said the shooter aimed at people in the first-floor cafeteria.

Navy Cmdr. Tim Jirus said that as he was leaving the building, he saw a co-worker who had been shot getting into a police car, and he heard more shots from inside his workplace.

Jirus went to an alley where he thought he would be safe and spoke briefly with a man there about what was going on. Jirus said he heard two gunshots, loudly echoing off the building. He spun toward the sound. When he turned back, the man he had been talking with was lying on the ground, shot in the head.

Uncertain where the shooter was, Jirus ran.

"I was just lucky," he said. "The other person was shorter than me. There were two shots. He got that guy."

The first call to D.C. police came about 8:15 a.m., and police Chief Cathy Lanier said officers arrived at the Navy Yard "within literally two to three minutes."

"Internal security had already... identified and engaged the suspect," Lanier said, meaning they were trading shots with him.

"Within seven minutes, we had active-shooter teams inside the building, moving through the building." Lanier said officers eventually encountered the gunman.

"There was a gunfight with the suspect," she said. And the suspect "was eventually deceased."

-- The Washington Post


Advertise With Us

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Photo Store

Scroll down to load more