Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/1/2014 (2314 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
AFTER a legal battle that became a touchstone in the abortion debate, a brain-dead pregnant woman was removed from life support Sunday as a Texas hospital agreed to comply with a court order.
Marlise Munoz's body was to be turned over to her family, attorneys for her husband, Erick Munoz, announced. She had been on life support for about two months at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth after falling unconscious in her home Nov. 26. At the time, she was 14 weeks pregnant.
Erick Munoz said doctors told him she was brain dead. But the hospital refused to remove her from life support, citing a Texas law that says "a person may not withdraw or withhold life-sustaining treatment... from a pregnant patient."
Both Erick and Marlise Munoz, 33, were paramedics. Erick Munoz said his wife had not wanted to be kept alive under such circumstances. He sued the hospital for "cruel and obscene mutilation" of a dead body.
Before Friday's hearing, competing demonstrators gathered outside the hospital. One group demanded her body remain on a ventilator so the fetus could be kept alive. The others demanded the hospital "let Marlise rest in peace."
Texas District Judge R.H. Wallace Jr. ruled the state's pregnancy protection law did not apply to someone who was not legally alive. He ordered the hospital to take her off life support by 5 p.m. Monday.
The hospital considered whether to appeal, but announced Sunday it would comply with Wallace's order.
"The Munoz and Machado families will now proceed with the sombre task of laying Marlise Munoz's body to rest, and grieving over the great loss that has been suffered," Heather King and Jessica Janicek, attorneys for Erick Munoz, said in a statement, the Associated Press reported.
-- Los Angeles Times
Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.
To those who have made donations, thank you.
To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.
The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.
After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.
If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.
We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.