Happy 102nd birthday!
Jacqui Setter of Victoria, B.C., wrote us to say that her mother, Frances Paul, celebrated her 102nd birthday on May 22.
She commemorated the milestone with a small gathering of family and friends at Devonshire Green, in Transcona. Jacqui asked if we would mention it in the paper — and we are happy to oblige.
Frances was born in 1921. To give you a sense of perspective, these things happened that year:
• The New York Yankees purchased 20 acres in The Bronx to build the first Yankee Stadium;
• Frederick Banting and Charles Best discovered insulin;
• Warren G. Harding was inaugurated as the 29th president of the United States;
• Albert Einstein lectured in New York City on his new theory of relativity;
• Chanel No. 5 perfume was launched;
• Charles Strite patented the automatic pop-up toaster;
• The Toronto Argonauts won the second Grey Cup;
•The Anglo-Irish Treaty partitioned Ireland;
• Mackenzie King became Canada’s 10th Prime Minister.