Twinning of Transcona Boulevard begun

City, EdgeCorp break ground on four lane road, upgrade to intersection

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 21/07/2017 (3224 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Construction season is in full swing in the Park City.

“The sun is shining on Transcona yet again,” mayor Brian Bowman said he Coun. Russ Wyatt (Transcona) broke ground July 20 on the twinning of Transcona Boulevard project. “Based on growth, we’ve seen an increase in demand.”

The two-lane Transcona Boulevard was opened in 2014, connecting Plessis Road at Kildare Avenue to Peguis Street in the west. The road was built as a result of City partnerships with developers EdgeCorp and Genstar, who are developing the land around the road.

Sheldon Birnie
July 20, 2017 - Coun. Russ Wyatt (Transcona) looks on as mayor Brian Bowman breaks ground on the twinning of Transcona Boulevard, a joint venture between the City of Winnipeg and developer EdgeCorp. The project is expected to be completed by October. (SHELDON BIRNIE/CANSTAR/THE HERALD)
Sheldon Birnie July 20, 2017 - Coun. Russ Wyatt (Transcona) looks on as mayor Brian Bowman breaks ground on the twinning of Transcona Boulevard, a joint venture between the City of Winnipeg and developer EdgeCorp. The project is expected to be completed by October. (SHELDON BIRNIE/CANSTAR/THE HERALD)

The current, $5.5-million project is a joint venture between the City of Winnipeg and EdgeCorp. It will add another two lanes to along a 750-metre stretch of Transcona Boulevard from Plessis  to the railroad tracks. EdgeCorp’s Keith Merkel said he expects construction to be complete in October. The project also includes an upgrade to the intersection at Plessis Road, which will include improved signals and designated left-turning lanes.

Merkel said that the other stretch of Transcona Boulevard, from the railway tracks to Peguis Street, will be twinned in time by Genstar, once their Devonshire Village development is nearer to completion.

“This links the city together in so many ways,” Wyatt commented, adding the area was identified by the City as early as 2000 as a major redevelopment site. “This has been a long process, with residents involved that resulted in the concept here today.”

The former Public Works yard is currently ground zero for new development in West Transcona. Wyatt noted that the site of the ground breaking is also where the new Transcona Library will be once construction is completed in September 2018, and where the Rapid Transit Eastern Corridor is expected to begin. Pending a final agreement with the City, a new YM/YWCA facility is also expected at that location. Across Transcona Boulevard to the south is where EdgeCorp plans to develop their Park City Commons project, which will include a mix of commercial and residential spaces.

Bowman said Winnipeg is currently experiencing levels of growth unseen since the 1960s, noting that 16,000 new residents moved to Winnipeg last year.

July 20, 2017 - (From left) EdgeCorp's Keith Merkel, mayor Brian Bowman, and Coun. Russ Wyatt (Transcona) break ground on the twinning of Transcona Boulevard. The joint venture between the City and EdgeCorp will see Transcona Boulevard increased to four lanes of traffic from Plessis Road west to the train tracks, and is expected to be complete by October. (SHELDON BIRNIE/CANSTAR/THE HERALD)
July 20, 2017 - (From left) EdgeCorp's Keith Merkel, mayor Brian Bowman, and Coun. Russ Wyatt (Transcona) break ground on the twinning of Transcona Boulevard. The joint venture between the City and EdgeCorp will see Transcona Boulevard increased to four lanes of traffic from Plessis Road west to the train tracks, and is expected to be complete by October. (SHELDON BIRNIE/CANSTAR/THE HERALD)

“Many of those people are calling Transcona home,” he said.

With steady growth project the next 18 years, Bowman said, investing in infrastructure was key to building a city for the future.

“This is infill development,” Wyatt added. “This shows the benefits of building up instead of out.”

Facebook.com/TheHeraldWPG
Twitter: @heraldWPG

July 20, 2017 - Mayor Brian Bowman (left) and Coun. Russ Wyatt (Transcona) officially broke ground on the Transcona Boulevard twinning project today. (SHELDON BIRNIE/CANSTAR/THE HERALD)
July 20, 2017 - Mayor Brian Bowman (left) and Coun. Russ Wyatt (Transcona) officially broke ground on the Transcona Boulevard twinning project today. (SHELDON BIRNIE/CANSTAR/THE HERALD)
Sheldon Birnie

Sheldon Birnie
Community Journalist

Sheldon Birnie is a reporter/photographer for the Free Press Community Review. Email him at sheldon.birnie@freepress.mb.ca or call him at 204-697-7112

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

The Herald

LOAD THE HERALD ARTICLES