Your forecast
Cloudy, with a 30 per cent chance of drizzle this morning then 30 per cent chance of showers this afternoon. Wind from the north at 20 km/h gusting to 40. High 9 C. UV index 4 or moderate.
When Steven Cong and his partner Teresa Calderon arrived at their campsite in Birds Hill Provincial Park on Saturday, their first order of business was to get a fire going.
The Winnipeg couple rented a site on Grackle Bay in the provincial campground for three days, hoping to spend the May long weekend sleeping in a tent and enjoying the solitude of life outside the city.
But as temperatures hovered around 3 C shortly after 10 a.m., they wondered whether it was worth unpacking their gear.
“Normally, I would tough it out, but I’m getting older now,” Cong, 41, said with a chuckle. “If it doesn’t rain, then we’ll stay, but if it starts raining, that’s miserable.” Tyler Searle has more here.

When Steven Cong (left) and Teresa Calderon arrived at their campsite, their first priority was starting a fire. (Tyler Searle / Free Press)
What’s happening today
🎳 Park Alleys, at 730 Osborne St., continues to be Winnipeg’s — the world’s? — foremost milieu for live jazz + bowling as a compound pleasure. The weekly jazz jam starts at 8 p.m. tonight. Admission is free.

Park Alleys hosts a weekly jazz jam on Tuesdays.(Daniel Crump / Winnipeg Free Press files)
Today’s must-read
The father of a man who was tried two times for the slaying of his mother when he was a teenager before a judge ordered a stay of proceedings, is pleading with prosecutors to end their “ongoing torture” of his family and abandon a bid to try the man a third time.
“Since this case began seven years ago, the Crown has relentlessly pursued a conviction at all costs, arguing that my son’s close relationship with his mother was somehow his motive for her murder,” the father wrote in a statement provided to the Free Press.
The father cannot be named as it would identify his son, who was 16 at the time of the March 2019 killing. For the same reason, the 51-year-old victim cannot be identified. Dean Pritchard has the story.
On the bright side
Andrea Castro was prepared to start from scratch when she decided to move to Canada.
The 42-year-old, who is from Ocana, in northern Colombia, moved to the capital city Bogota at 21, where she lived for 17 years. She had a good career at the United States embassy and was in a relationship. Then the COVID-19 pandemic struck.
“I started thinking about what I really want in my life. I was tired of the same routine. In the embassy I met people who had been travelling and living in different places. I wanted to challenge myself in a new place with a new language. I wanted to follow my dreams,” she says.
Five years later, she has built a community of like-minded people through her volunteer work. AV Kitching has more here.

Andrea Castro has been busy volunteering since she moved to Winnipeg from Bogota, Columbia in 2021. (Mike Sudoma / Free Press)
On this date
Our newspaper archives service is currently unavailable. “On this date” will resume when it returns.
Today’s front page
Get the full story: Read today’s e-edition of the Free Press.

|